CrafyJp

Yarn Substitution Help

Hello! I bought this pattern from etsy it is a vintage vertical striped button down cardigan and the yarn asked is Bucilla Tempo yarn the problem is that the yarn is discontinued. All the pattern tells me is that Bucilla Tempo yarn is 1 3/4 oz. (50gr) skein requires 350 (400-450) grs, and the gauge is 7sts= 1in 3sc rows and 2dc rows = 1 1/8in and I know it's 100% acrylic and the fingering(14 wpi). I don't know if that was any help or not but I got the measurements from the pattern and from ravelry but I was wondering if anyone would help me to find a yarn substitution! I am not the best at figuring that out on my own so any suggestion would be appreciated!  😅😅 

Fingering yarn is the same as sock weight yarn, 7 stitches per inch sounds about in the right gauge neighborhood.  Are you in the US?  I haven't been into a Michaels since Covid hit, but their 'Woolike' yarn is that weight, I used it on a shawl project a couple of years ago - it was soft and nice to work with.  It's also very inexpensive.  Not pushing that yarn or anything but aside from sock yarn (which would also work), that's the only fingering I've used in ages.  https://www.michaels.com/woolike-yarn-loops-and-threads/M10338444.html  (whoa, that's a lot less than I paid for it a few years ago, good deal!) It gives a knitting gauge of 32 stitches at 4", which is 8 sts per inch, so pretty close to your pattern so you can probably hit gauge if you have hooks near an 'E' to swatch with.

Weight: Super Fine (1)

Contents: 85% acrylic, 15% nylon
Skein Weight: 3.5 oz. / 100 g
Yardage: 678 yd. / 620 m

Knitting Gauge:
32 sts - 42 rows = 4" (10 cm)

Suggested Knitting Needle:
2.75 mm, US - 2
Suggested Crochet Hook:
3.5 mm, US - E/4

So, you normally need to know the yards or meters needed, not the grams...but...if Woolike weighs exactly the same as the discontinued  acrylic yarn, it is 100grams per skein; depending on your size you'd need 4-5 skeins; it's so inexpensive I'd buy an extra skein just to be sure, you can probably make a hat or cowl if there are leftovers (especially if you are the middle size, the middle size takes exactly 400 gr. for example, so there's no wiggle room if you only buy 4 skeins, plus you don't know if the weight per meter is exactly the same....)  My 'stash' is mostly extra skeins  that I "shouldn't have needed", but many had to be resorted to...

You could also look at other fingering weight yarns and Joann or Michaels or elsewhere online and do the same gram per skein and gauge analysis.

Bernat Baby yarn is also the same weight, you can look it up at Michaels; I'm not sure if I'd recommend it, I had a lot of issues with some skeins and not others (breaks, knots and slubs) the last time I worked with it - might have been a bad batch.  It was more annoying than unusable, if you don't mind splicing a lot.  Also, baby yarn is going to be in limited colors...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Fingering yarn is the same as sock weight yarn, 7 stitches per inch sounds about in the right gauge neighborhood.  Are you in the US?  I haven't been into a Michaels since Covid hit, but their 'Woolike' yarn is that weight, I used it on a shawl project a couple of years ago - it was soft and nice to work with.  It's also very inexpensive.  Not pushing that yarn or anything but aside from sock yarn (which would also work), that's the only fingering I've used in ages.  https://www.michaels.com/woolike-yarn-loops-and-threads/M10338444.html  (whoa, that's a lot less than I paid for it a few years ago, good deal!) It gives a knitting gauge of 32 stitches at 4", which is 8 sts per inch, so pretty close to your pattern so you can probably hit gauge if you have hooks near an 'E' to swatch with.

Weight: Super Fine (1)

Contents: 85% acrylic, 15% nylon
Skein Weight: 3.5 oz. / 100 g
Yardage: 678 yd. / 620 m

Knitting Gauge:
32 sts - 42 rows = 4" (10 cm)

Suggested Knitting Needle:
2.75 mm, US - 2
Suggested Crochet Hook:
3.5 mm, US - E/4

So, you normally need to know the yards or meters needed, not the grams...but...if Woolike weighs exactly the same as the discontinued  acrylic yarn, it is 100grams per skein; depending on your size you'd need 4-5 skeins; it's so inexpensive I'd buy an extra skein just to be sure, you can probably make a hat or cowl if there are leftovers (especially if you are the middle size, the middle size takes exactly 400 gr. for example, so there's no wiggle room if you only buy 4 skeins, plus you don't know if the weight per meter is exactly the same....)  My 'stash' is mostly extra skeins  that I "shouldn't have needed", but many had to be resorted to...

You could also look at other fingering weight yarns and Joann or Michaels or elsewhere online and do the same gram per skein and gauge analysis.

Bernat Baby yarn is also the same weight, you can look it up at Michaels; I'm not sure if I'd recommend it, I had a lot of issues with some skeins and not others (breaks, knots and slubs) the last time I worked with it - might have been a bad batch.  It was more annoying than unusable, if you don't mind splicing a lot.  Also, baby yarn is going to be in limited colors...

Omg thank you so much for the suggestions and being very precise it was really helpful! I am from the US so i'll definitely hit up Michaels to get the "Woolike" yarn. 

Also sorry i didn't realize i needed to put the weight and yardage for the discontinued yarn. Bucilla Tempo yarn weight according to Ralvery is 56 grams (1.98 ounces) and it is 180 yards! I don't know if that makes a difference or not but hopefully the "Woolike" yarn from Michaels is still good to use because it is right up my price alley 😂

I didn't even think to look at Ravelry for your yarn, duh...so 1 ball of Woollike is 678 yds, divided by 180 yards of the Tempo =3.77, meaning 1 ball of Woolike = 3.77 balls of Tempo.  Don't round that up to 1 ball Woollike=4 balls Tempo because that is rounding down the number of balls of Woollike you need.

5 hours ago, Granny Square said:

I didn't even think to look at Ravelry for your yarn, duh...so 1 ball of Woollike is 678 yds, divided by 180 yards of the Tempo =3.77, meaning 1 ball of Woolike = 3.77 balls of Tempo.  Don't round that up to 1 ball Woollike=4 balls Tempo because that is rounding down the number of balls of Woollike you need.

Ok thank you so much! This was all super helpful will definitely get the Woolike yarn from Michaels this friday! 

Since it's so affordable probably will get 4-5 skeins of it and can use the leftovers for something else 😝

Thank you again for all your help! 💕