Why is there a gap between my single crochets?

Izzie

Question

Hey there,

I can’t replicate a mistake I made and I hope I’ll find some help around here  I’m a beginner and I’m pretty lost.

I tried to do a half color change with single crochets, but apparently I did something wrong as there’s a gap between the two colors. 

My first color was brown, then U changed it to yellow by doing a faulty half color switch while crocheting in rounds. Now, on the outside there’s a gap between the last brown and the first yellow row. You can’t see through, but you can pull the outer half apart and create a gap showing the inner half. 
Furthermore, it looks like you can see the “V”-Stitches on the outside of the last brown row. So I don’t think that I accidentally only crocheted into the front of back loop, but I’m not sure. 

Do you have any idea what went wrong? I enclosed some pictures of the gap (it’s between the yellow and brown outer row  

I like the gap for this project and I’d like to replicate it. Any guesses are welcome :)

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Greetings from Germany

Izzie

354723C3-BC34-4FC7-978C-2AD29BF8D4D2.jpeg

FEF311AC-844E-4BB4-A05F-7057D0BE45CA.jpeg

00A1E09B-E5E4-4F7E-AFBC-81189F1D176D.jpeg

D3B1F474-9710-4AEA-A3BB-B1EA08AD7775.jpeg

491FA198-73A0-4DBE-BED6-710F94383898.jpeg

078BF988-78BF-4654-960C-BC82E39BB2B1.jpeg

CD0B40FA-E335-4F0D-A54A-4230511D5ADD.jpeg

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Good news - You haven't done anything wrong. 

Bad news, or maybe educational news--when you work in a spiral without mitigation for the color change, that's what happens.

Good news--rather than me explaining it, google 'how to crochet stripes in a spiral', there are lots of videos and a picture really is worth 1000 words to show how to blend a color change when working in a spiral.  Actually, your piece looks pretty good - the fix won't stop this entirely but will improve the look.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!

Good news - You haven't done anything wrong. 

Bad news, or maybe educational news--when you work in a spiral without mitigation for the color change, that's what happens.

Good news--rather than me explaining it, google 'how to crochet stripes in a spiral', there are lots of videos and a picture really is worth 1000 words to show how to blend a color change when working in a spiral.  Actually, your piece looks pretty good - the fix won't stop this entirely but will improve the look.

Thank you for the advice and the kind words :) this community seems to be very welcoming, helpful and full of nice fellow crocheters.

I already looked up color changes/stripes in spirals as I didn’t want a diagonal line where the color changes. That’s how I found out about the half color change method. 

I think the color change itself turned out as it was supposed to. What seems to be wrong is that the row of the color change looks different from the other rows although I tried to do single crochets all the time. The color change row looks like the outer half is missing, that’s what I mean by “gap”. I think the same problem could occur without a color change. I might have done another stitch by accident (or just a faulty single crochet). That probably happened because crocheting with two running yarns while doing the half color change was quite confusing. 
Now, it looks like the “v”-stitches are on the outside in one row and above that, there’s this gap with only a thin layer of yarn/stitches (about half as thick as the other rows). Then there are normal stitches again. I don’t think that this happens with all color changes in spirals, or am I wrong?

I’d like to understand what I did wrong.  When I tried to replicate it, the stitches in my color change row looked normal except from being half brown, half yellow. However, I’d like to replicate the mistake so that there is this line/gap you can feel and see. 

I’m sorry that I probably didn’t explain my problem correctly in the first post, it’s hard to describe. 

Oops, sorry I misunderstood 'gap' as color jog.  You mean you want to replicate the brown part looking bigger than the yellow part?  I thought maybe the brown was supposed to be like that, I was imagining a foot or shoe meant to stick out a bit at the end of a toy's leg.

You started with the brown, then transitioned to yellow, right? 

This may not be what you did, but I think would come close to the look...If you did the last brown row around the post* of the brown row below, then switched to yellow and worked normally in to the last brown row, I think that would come close to the look, because that does make the top of the stitch tilt toward the front.

*You'd want to do a back post - insert hook from the back, around the front of the stitch, and return to the back to complete the stitch--this pulls the body of the stitch back, but the top forward.