Stuffed animal head

Lizzyrid

Question

I am crocheting an elephant.  The head is crocheted in a spiral round. I start at the end of the trunk, and continue to the back of the head. I have finished 3/4 of the head,  and it's looking pretty wonky.  The center line of the head doesn't go down the center of the head, but skews to the left as you look at the front of the head. Any ideas what I have done wrong? 

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Good news, you have done nothing wrong.  (sorta) bad news - crochet stitches do that in the round, they don't quite sit squarely on top of each other.

One way to mitigate that is to work into the back loop of the stitch, that straightens it out pretty well but leaves a ridge every round which you might be more bothered by than the skew, especially on an animal toy.  Another, also not a great solution for a toy, is to find a spot where you want an obvious "seam" and turn the work each round.

Edited by Granny Square

Looks that you are doing Ok like Granny Square said above.  Since you got about 3/4 of that head done my advice would be. Just put stuffing in that head ( stuff that good and evenly around) and see how that head looks?. Yes you probably will  need to take out that stuffing before finishing that head at least that way you will see how everything is working out...

Sometimes I will stuff the whole head just to be able to mark where would be the right place to put those safety eyes. Than I will need to take out that stuffing at least big part of that to put those safety eyes with those backs inside. When it comes to Amigurumi sometimes is needed to do some work and take that apart and do that again to do that right LOL.

Krys