Kat

Leopold

Question

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville Leopold.  

The second repeat of "as in the next row" in the parentheses doesn't make sense to me either.

I assume you are just starting the edging, since it says to work in the edge of rows, and after 1 round of edging there's no 'row ends', just tops of stitches to work into.  

Is this a free pattern on the 'net that you could link to, or if not free link to a photo of it?  It might help us guess what is going on.

Taking it literally, I'd assume you will work around the piece, in 2 rounds, in the same stitch pattern as the first 2 rows of the thing you are edging (blanket?).  Normally you'd add stitches into the corners so they lie flat, did it address how to handle the corners?  Example, for SC you'd put 3 stitches into the corner, and 5 stitches for DC (US terms).  I don't do a lot of HDC, which I'm guessing your pattern might be since it has a turning chain of 2, but 4 sts in the corner sounds reasonable.

Stitching into the sides of rows can be tricky, it boils down to spacing the stitches evenly and having them look consistent.  Generic rules: for SC it is usually 1 stitch into each row end, but depending on your stitch height gauge you might have to add or skip a stitch now and again (better to sc2together for a smoother look).  For DC it's usually 2 stitches for each row end, plus or minus as for SC to keep it flat.  For the top and bottom, 1 stitch into 1 stitch.