ChinchillaMomma

Ch 2, dc in the same st

Question

Hi everyone. I am new to crocheting. I’ve mastered the magic circle and creating the perfect ring. I’m so stuck on ROW 2 of this pattern design. Also, how is a row determined in a ring? Is that by making a complete circle? 

image.jpg

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Normally patterns worked back and forth in straight rows will say row 1, row 2 etc, and patterns in the round will say round 1, round 2 (or rnd1, etc).  This designer messed up, or possibly is not a native English speaker (I have to give those folks credit, it's hard enough to write a pattern down let alone not in your native language!)

There's something odd about the start of round 2, it did not have you join the round before turning.  Just a comment, not sure where you pattern is leading but this creates a slit--unless the pattern has something in a 'special stitches' or techniques area that says to join each round so they don't have to repeat it each time...

To answer your question, the last thing you did before turning is 4 DCs, so when you turn, and chain up, your chain is 'coming out of' the last DC you made - that is the 'same stitch' the pattern is referring to.  The turning chain that is coming out of the last DC counts as a stitch, then if you put a stitch into that DC it creates an increase - normally (to keep the same stitch count on a row) you'd skip the first stitch after a turning chain for all stitches except for SC (and sometimes HDC, that's a flaky stitch).  An increase makes sense as you need to increase to make the circle bigger.