Shawl pattern row 2 help

Green_Lion05

Question

I’m working on crocheting a shawl but I’m not sure how to execute row 2. 

row 2: ch 2, dc in same st, 1 dc on each next st across row, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) corner in ch sp, 1 dc on each next st across row, 2 dc in same last st, turn

original pattern: https://imgprd19.hobbylobby.com/sys-master/root/h32/hc9/h00/9822191910942/1994185-Shawls-WEB.pdf

Any ideas would help, thanks!!! :)

edit: thanks bgs, for some reason my brain didn’t process it that way; the visuals really helped! 

Edited by Green_Lion05

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

It doesn't say so, but it appears to start from the center 'top' or long edge, and you will be working toward the pointy bottom tip.  Row 1 is really sort of a half-round made of 4dc, ch2, 4dc into a ring (the initial ch2 after the ring is counting as a dc).  This part will become the 'spine', or corner where each row turns direction; the shawl will be formed like this \|/ where each row is V shaped and will change direction at the spine which is the center line in my drawing.

More visualization:  it's like you are making a little 2 dimensional mountain, you start with a tiny hill, then go up and down the hill each time adding a row to make it taller, and wider at the ground.  Drawing a line from the top of the hill down to the ground is the spine.  Each row end takes you farther and farther from the center of the tiny hill you started with.

The spine is the point that you turn the corner that it is talking about in row 2.  It looks like row 2 is  'generically written' because in several spots it says 'repeat row 2'--you are repeating the concept of row 2, but the number of stitches described by "1 dc on each next st across row" will increase each time.  I think the confusing part is that it says 'across row', but it doesn't really mean all the way to the end; the pattern is thinking in terms of 1 pass over the hill as row, summit, row--it would have been clearer if it said "first side of spine (or corner)" and then "second side of spine (or corner)" instead of row.

Breaking row 2 into steps:  The bold part in the center is the 'spine' or 'corner turn' part.  The part that is not underlined, on either side, is just straight DC into each DC except the red parts at each end, where you increase by 1 stitch on each end (this keeps the top, long edge of the triangle in a straight line)

row 2: ch 2, dc in same st, 1 dc on each next st across row, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) corner in ch sp, 1 dc on each next st across row, 2 dc in same last st, turn.

Oops, Bgs replied as I was typing...edit as I had to post to see what she said - she made that initial 'tiny hill' I was trying to describe.  The center of her piece, with the holes, is the spine.

Edited by Granny Square