Pattern Help

Sally-Ann

Question

I am currently crocheting Elmer the elephant for my twin nephews, I have complete everything apart from the ears, which i am totally stuck on. I really don`t understand the pattern. I seem to end up with several chain stitches left over and after completing rows 2-7 i run out of stitches in Row 8. Please could anybody simplify the pattern for me. TIA 🤔

Elmer Ear.jpg

5 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the 'ville!

You are right, I just diagrammed row 1 as written and row 1 leaves 7 chains unused, and creates 23 stitches.  I assumed the joining of the new  color, and the first stitch of that color, all happened in 1 stitch.

An easy solution - does it look proportionately sized for your elephant?  If so, follow the directions and pick out the extra 7 foundation chains later, it will not unravel from the knot end (as you will find picking them out).

A not so easy solution, if the 23 versus 30 stitch ear looks too small--look at the photo and count the stitches, if you can see the stitches clearly enough.  Or you may need to 'wing it' on your own with the colors looking at the photo for the proportional distribution of the colors.  

In my diagram, o=chain, |=a UK DC, \/=2 UK DC into 1 stitch.  I don't know why it cut off most of the leftmost chain, my scanner decided to do it's own cropping...scan0021.jpg.0ec59daf8c5e519e8049d90831ac304a.jpg

• Thanks 1

[1 dc B in next stitch, 2 dc B in next stitch] 4 times means to do the following

1dc B, 2 dc B 

1dc B, 2 dc B

1dc B, 2 dc B 

1dc B, 2 dc B

You do everything within the brackets 4 times. 

Edited by bgs
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bgs said:

[1 dc B in next stitch, 2 dc B in next stitch] 4 times means to do the following

1dc B, 2 dc B 

1dc B, 2 dc B

1dc B, 2 dc B 

1dc B, 2 dc B

You do everything within the brackets 4 times. 

Oh i feel so silly! It makes total sense now and I must have started over 40 times now lol. Thank you :D