One Side Joining vs Two Sided Joining

Daisy Lou

Question

I am crocheting Lovely Lace Afghan by Melissa Leapman. The directions are for 9 vertical strips of 11 motifs each. Directions are provided for One Sided Joining on Round 6 and Two Sided Joining on Round 6. At what point do I use directions for the Two Sided Joining.....do I complete one vertical strip using the One Sided Joining and the Two Sided Joining for the 8 additional vertical strips?  Thanks!  

4 answers to this question

I haven't made that blanket, but here's a link so others can see the end item.

I'm guessing it means something a join-as-you-go scheme. Example, crocheting 4 generic square motifs in my head, where they will end up a bigger square 2 motifs on top and 2 on the bottom:

Motif 1, finish completely. 

Motif 2, join to 1 side of motif 1 while finishing last round, finish other 3 sides.

Motif 3, join to 1 side of motif 1 or 2, making a right angle shape, while finishing last round, finish other 3 sides. 

Motif 4, join to the inside "right angle" sides of motif 3 and 1 while making the last round, (so here you are working on the sides of 2 squares continuously), finish the last 2 sides of the last round.  Now you have 1 big square, assembled like the quarter hours of a clock: square 1 is the first quarter hour, and so on around the clock until the 4th quarter hour joins the 3rd at the 9:00 line, and the 1st square at the 12:00 line.  Does that make sense?  

Probably should have just drawn a picture--so the motifs would be joined in order like this, where 4 is joined to 2 squares' sides as you finish its last round, but the other 3 are joined to each other on 1 side.

1   2

4   3

Making them in strips would be much more work, you'd have more ends to weave in because you'd only be putting the last round on 2 opposite sides of the each square first, then making 1 long join (that would be 4 ends per square instead of 2, plus 2 more ends for each long seam.  Yikes!).  This way, each square has only 2 ends, period, and it's all attached when you finish the last square.

You don't HAVE to do this by groups of 4, but this shows why you will end up with joining either 1 side or 2 sides while finishing a square while joining as you go. 

Edited by Granny Square

12 hours ago, Daisy Lou said:

Thanks for the explanation. The directions just weren’t clear to me. And, yes, it is a join-as-you-go Afghan. I appreciate your help.  I hope I can make it work. 

If you need more information you might check out. Thesprucecrafts.com  —> crochet tips->
join as you go crochet patterns for photos and video links.