Side Bar of the HDC?

Aryn

Question

So, I am making a baby shirt and trying to get started on the sleeves. I joined the yarn under the armpit and Row 1 says ch1 hdc in same st, hdc in next at, make a hdc along the side bar of the hdc... I have never heard of anything other than the side bar stitch but I’m not sure that’s what they’re talking about? The pattern is worded pretty odd in some places and it mentions side bar of the hdc a couple times but with no explanation.. Anyone have any opinions??

BA44C4D2-46B0-440D-8776-D76E78376171.jpeg

Edited by Aryn

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the "Ville. I have to say, I've not heard of a hdc into side bar. A front loop or a back loop hdc yes. Is there not an explanation of stitches in the front or back of the pattern? Also, do you have a link to the pattern or name of the resource the pattern is in? That would help. Maybe one of our other experienced members knows this stitch.

Chiming in because I saw this yesterday and it stumped me too.  Confession: HDC is one of my least favorite stitches (just don't care for the appearance) so I mostly avoid it, but I agree with Reni: front and back yes, but side :think ?

My best guess, by the wording: It sounds like you have made the front and back, and have sewn the shoulder and side seams and are now working around the armhole opening to make a sleeve in the round, so the first round will mostly be into the sides/ends of rows--mostly because by the wording it sounds like there are a couple of 'normal' stitches at the underarm. 

What I'd do is count how many row-ends and stitches there are, and if the number doesn't come out to 23 stitches: increase or decrease as consistently* as possible 23 stitches evenly around the armhole, by either putting 2 stitches into 1 if there are fewer than 23, or hdc2together if there are more than that around the sleeve. 

*consistently meaning, pick a spot that looks good and stick with it when  placing the hook into the row ends