Cinched cuff sleeve

loominlady

Question

• Hi there everyone. I'm new here but I'm hoping you can help me out! I have a wide sleeve that I love but I want to do a cinched cuff sleeve and am not sure if ribbing is the way to go and if that will cinch it. the sleeve on this sweater is essentially what I have right now but I wanted to make it cuff to my wrist. Any ideas would be much appreciated! my sleeve is 63 stitches wide ( I think, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to count the corners) another way I will say it is it is a granny square sleeve with 3 granny squares to make a circle and each square has  5 shells each with 3 dc  
Edited by loominlady

3 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the 'ville!

Normally the way you'd make a ribbed cuff sleeve is start with the cuff, and work the sleeve up from the cuff, which gives you a nice eased transition from cuff to sleeve so you can get your hand comfortably thru the transition point. 

If you have already made the sweater, I'd add a couple of rounds drastically reducing the opening (like, sc-2-together, sc in the next 2 stitches, repeat -- this will turn 4 stitches into 3, so will reduce the opening by 1/4th; maybe repeat that once and see how it goes, or change the # of plain stitches between the increases if you'd rather. Make sure you have room to put your hand thru with room to spare, the cuff will draw it in some and you don't want it tight there.

Have you made a ribbed cuff before?  It's easy, make a chain the length you want the cuff to be, turn, SC in the back loop only across - repeat until you have a rectangle you can wrap it around your wrist comfortably, and sew the short ends together, then sew the cuff to the sleeve--don't pull your stitches super tight attaching to the sweater, make sure the seam stretches with the stitches.

You're welcome!

I just noticed I overlooked your question about counting the stitches in the corners of the granny squares.   Since corners are often an odd # of stitches, there's a 'middle' stitch -  if you assign the middle stitch to the side seam, not the hem, the edge will turn slightly toward your body, which is preferable to slightly flipping away.