Indian corn color yarn

NCcountrygal

I’m getting the itch to make crochet Indian corn and I’m curious if anybody has seen yarn that would resemble it?

eta I forgot I still have the Herrschners catalog. I saw a SOHO yarn but don’t like that homespun type. Looked at photos and might try combining two solids.

Edited by NCcountrygal
Info update

Zillions of different colors! Well, lots... https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=photos+of+indian+corn&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj4--f1--jrAhWHr54KHS2XCEkQ7Al6BAgHEFw&biw=1440&bih=757

No recommendations of variegated yarn, tho.  It's so random, and single-stitch blips (mostly).  I think I'd work it by making a bunch of different colored bobbins with short scraps of the right colors and do it that way.  If you are making 3D corn, you could weave in a little for stability but leave a mess of ends on the inside.

Edited by Granny Square

On 9/13/2020 at 12:59 PM, NCcountrygal said:

I’m getting the itch to make crochet Indian corn and I’m curious if anybody has seen yarn that would resemble it?

eta I forgot I still have the Herrschners catalog. I saw a SOHO yarn but don’t like that homespun type. Looked at photos and might try combining two solids.

Red Heart Super Saver has a variegated called Fall. JoAnn's carries it online. Maybe that would work. Oh! And don't forget blue corn.

Edited by ReniC

Interesting, but I think 2 colors per stitch doesn't look quite right.  ...re-reading my post, what I meant by 'do it with a bunch of bobbins' was to switch color every stitch or random groups of 1, 2, or 3 stitches, whatever, and carry the unused colors across the back--so 1 stitch=1 kernel=1 color.

49 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I just happened to trip over this pattern on Ravelry, corn potholder  It doesn't help for colors, but would be a useful reason to make an ear of corn...I think it's meant to go over the handle of an iron skillet.

I saw that corn pattern some years ago. I decided to turn my experiment into a skillet handle cover.  Back to making little bears 🐻 

Edited by NCcountrygal
Add word