Pattern Help Baby Afghan

jennnat

Question

Hello, 

I am new to this and  want to be sure i am reading the pattern right.  I am working on a Terry Kimbrough Baby Afghan..

I started with 128 chains per the instructions

Here are the directions for Row one:

SC in second ch from  hook, ch 3 skip next 3 chs ( sc in next ch, ch 3) twice* (skip next 3 chns, sc in next ch, ch3) twice, sc in next ch, ch3 repeat; from * across to last 4 chs, skip 3 chs, sc in last ch

Does this mean single crochet in 2 chain, make 3 chains, skip next 3 chains (single crochet in next chain (chain 1 from hook) then chain 3 do this twice)  skip next 3 chns, Single crochet in next ch,  chain 3) twice, single in next ch, chain 3 repeat; till i get to the last 4 chains  skip 3 chs, single in last ch?

Row 2:(Right side): Ch4 (Count as first dc plus ch 1, now and througout), turn skip next 3 chain sp, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch3 sp, ch 1 skip next ch3 sp * work cluster in next sc chain, ch 1 skip next ch3 sps, (2dc, ch 2 2 dc) in next ch3 sp, ch 1 skip next ch 3 sp repeat from * acroust to last sc dc in last sc

Does this mean chain 4 turn work skip next 3 chains, double crochet in next chain,  chain 2, chain 2, double crochet in next  chain, chain 1 skip next 3 chains, work cluster in next chain, chain 1 skip next 3 chains, double in next chain, chain 2 and doble in next, chain 1 skip 3 and repeat til last single crotch and single ?

1 answer to this question

Hi, welcome to the 'ville and to crochet!

I'm going to link to a page of a resource you might want to bookmark, https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern , note this site has a menu of other good stuff on the right side.  The link explains turning chains, which was part of your first question, and why you skip the first chain for SC.

So your pattern says :

"SC in second ch from  hook, ch 3 skip next 3 chs ( sc in next ch, ch 3) twice* (skip next 3 chns, sc in next ch, ch3) twice, sc in next ch, ch3 repeat; from * across to last 4 chs, skip 3 chs, sc in last ch"  --  just copying it here so I can see it better,  I will break the steps apart below,  my reply underlined:

"SC in second ch from  hook" skip the first chain and SC into the second chain--the skipped first chain is your turning chain

"Ch3 skip next 3 chs" exactly what it says, the new 3 chains 'float in the air' above the foundation chains

"( sc in next ch, ch 3) twice" exactly what it says, it will look like x^x--- (sort of), the x being SC and the ^ being the 3 chains arched between the SC, but the next chain will be stretched straight, keep reading

"*" stuff after this will be repeated - for clarity, the repeated part is in blue

"(skip next 3 chns, sc in next ch, ch3)" twice," again, follow what it says -- do all the part in the ( ) twice.  Note that the last thing you did in the above part was chain 3, so skipping 3 will keep it flat

"sc in next ch, ch3 repeat; from * across to last 4 chs," again, follow what it says

"skip 3 chs, sc in last ch" this is what covers the last 4 stitches mentioned above, to complete the row

I hope this helps?