Help With a Pattern

Amanda C

Question

I'm making a pattern for an amigurumi of a pokemon and I've never done this type technique on part of this pattern. 

Sc 2. Turn. Dec 1. Turn. Slst 2 back to R5

I've never turned on a chain before i get to the end of the chain. I dont know what it means when it says "slip stitch 2 back to Round 5" Ive attempted it multiple times and just cannot get it down. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  

Everything you said made sense except referring to the chain, because "Sc 2. Turn. Dec 1. Turn. Slst 2 back to R5" makes it sounds like you are at 5 already, if you only need to slst 2 to get back to row 5 after making 2 (tiny) rows.

However, crochet can be very freeform so there's no reason you can't turn halfway across a chain, or a row, and do something else for a while, leaving the chain (or row) dangling and come back to it later.  It sounds like it might be a "short row", where you make a bump in the middle of a long row.  This is something along the lines of: work partway across a row, turn, work back partway, turn, repeat a couple of times with the amount of stitches decreasing between turns as you get to the top of the 'hill'.  Then after the last short row you stitch (in your case slst) down the side of the 'hill' (into the ends of the rows) and keep going, but at that point across the row where you first turned to start the hill - I hope this makes sense. 

Can you tell what part of the toy you are making?  I can imagine it might be for ears?

Edited by Granny Square

17 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!  

Everything you said made sense except referring to the chain, because "Sc 2. Turn. Dec 1. Turn. Slst 2 back to R5" makes it sounds like you are at 5 already, if you only need to slst 2 to get back to row 5 after making 2 (tiny) rows.

However, crochet can be very freeform so there's no reason you can't turn halfway across a chain, or a row, and do something else for a while, leaving the chain (or row) dangling and come back to it later.  It sounds like it might be a "short row", where you make a bump in the middle of a long row.  This is something along the lines of: work partway across a row, turn, work back partway, turn, repeat a couple of times with the amount of stitches decreasing between turns as you get to the top of the 'hill'.  Then after the last short row you stitch (in your case slst) down the side of the 'hill' (into the ends of the rows) and keep going, but at that point across the row where you first turned to start the hill - I hope this makes sense. 

Can you tell what part of the toy you are making?  I can imagine it might be for ears?

Thank you for your response! I'm still a little confused because I'm not sure what slip stitch 2 means. Do I slip stitch into the second stitch from the one I just made or do I do 2 slip stitches? Im making little wings so it looks like half of a sunflower if that makes sense. Ill try to attach a picture with the pattern for that part

Screenshot_20200827-143439_Samsung Notes.jpg

Ohhhhh, I see what's going on - you are making the petals (I was thinking you were making a 3-D creature, not a flat flower).  

You are making short rows as I guessed, but a bunch of tiny 2-row ones not one big one.  Notice how the line you typed, "Sc 2. Turn. Dec 1. Turn. Slst 2 back to R5", repeats*?  

You have made the center half-circle of the flower, row 4 ended with 15 stitches.  So you are going to proceed '2 steps forward and 1 step back', by making a series of rows that use only 2 stitches each of row 5 (not counting slip stitches). 

Think of the last row, row 4, as the 'floor' of row 5.  Make 2 sc, turn, decrease those 2 stitches together, turn, make the first slst into the side of the tiny decrease row and the second slst into the side of the tiny 2-sc row, so you are  back to the 'floor' of row 5.

After typing the above, I realized it gives that instruction a total of 7 times, and there are only 6 petals in the photo.  Also it sometimes says to slst 3 back to row 5, and slst 2 back to row 5.  

So, here's how I'd fudge this pattern -- each petal starts with 2 sc made into row 15, 2x6=12, so there are 3 stitches 'left over'.  I'd alternate the petals chaining back to row 5 like this:

*petal, slst 2 down the side of the petal (but not into row 5),

petal, slst 2 down the side of the petal + 1 slst into the next stitch of row 5

repeat from * twice more. 

(petal = row 1: 2 sc, turn    row 2:  decrease)

I think this will begin and end this evenly on each side, and it uses up the 3 stitches 'left over' that it doesn't tell you what to do with.

Edited by Granny Square
to make 'my' version clearer

8 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Ohhhhh, I see what's going on - you are making the petals (I was thinking you were making a 3-D creature, not a flat flower).  

You are making short rows as I guessed, but a bunch of tiny 2-row ones not one big one.  Notice how the line you typed, "Sc 2. Turn. Dec 1. Turn. Slst 2 back to R5", repeats*?  

You have made the center half-circle of the flower, row 4 ended with 15 stitches.  So you are going to proceed '2 steps forward and 1 step back', by making a series of rows that use only 2 stitches each of row 5 (not counting slip stitches). 

Think of the last row, row 4, as the 'floor' of row 5.  Make 2 sc, turn, decrease those 2 stitches together, turn, make the first slst into the side of the tiny decrease row and the second slst into the side of the tiny 2-sc row, so you are  back to the 'floor' of row 5.

After typing the above, I realized it gives that instruction a total of 7 times, and there are only 6 petals in the photo.  Also it sometimes says to slst 3 back to row 5, and slst 2 back to row 5.  

So, here's how I'd fudge this pattern -- each petal starts with 2 sc made into row 15, 2x6=12, so there are 3 stitches 'left over'.  I'd alternate the petals chaining back to row 5 like this:

*petal, slst 2 down the side of the petal (but not into row 5),

petal, slst 2 down the side of the petal + 1 slst into the next stitch of row 5

repeat from * twice more. 

(petal = row 1: 2 sc, turn    row 2:  decrease)

I think this will begin and end this evenly on each side, and it uses up the 3 stitches 'left over' that it doesn't tell you what to do with.

That makes so much more sense to me, thank you!! This is a project for a friend and I was getting worried about nos knowing what to do. I will make sure to reply to this thread once I get the wing done :) Thank you so much again!