Chenille Yarn

Janie Bont

I really like the chenille yarn for making baby blankets or just making a lap blanket for myself. The yarn is so nice and soft! However, I can't find a way to prevent the ends from coming out. I would like to make myself a pocket shawl with some chenille yarn I bought on sale. Does anyone have any tips as to how to weave the ends in to make sure they don't come out? Does it make a difference which pattern you use i.e. is a tighter fit of stitches work better than a loose pattern? Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Chenille yarn looks and feels very nice to the touch and that is about ALL what is good about that yarn.  Unfortunately I bought few balls of that Velvet yarn not knowing anything about that. First of all that yarn is not strong at all, all those "fuzzies" coming off very easy. Those "fuzzies" are mowing/sliding so easy from side to side like a curtains on a curtain rod and all is left in a middle is a very thin thread. That yarn can not be put to a dryer only air dry. I am not even sure if that is strong enough to use wash machine.

Did you worked with that yarn previously?. If not, I would suggest for you to crochet a "swatch" and try to rip that. You will see how that will go..: That  part of that yarn will get damage no matter how careful & slow you will try to do that.  I am not saying that you will "need" to frog anything. What I am saying that very often we do make some mistakes by not paying attention and we need to rip few stitches or so..

I bought that Velvet yarn to crochet two  Sock Monkey Rag Dolls for two little kids. After I read that is not machine dryble and I did that Swatch and seen how those "fuzzies" were coming out when I was trying to rip few stitches I give up on my original plan. I will use that to make Decorative Amigurumi for Holidays. Like a Snowman's or Bunny's or...That yarn is not strong enough to make toys for kids. Those  needs to be wash very often. 

I do LOVE that Bernat Blanket Yarn. That yarn looks & feels like a Velvet yarn. BUT, it is VERY STRONG! :). I used that a lot for Baby blankets & Pet blankets. My daughter got 4 Pets. She is washing those blankets every week for over 3 years. All those blankets still looking brand new! :).

That is my opinion on that Velvet yarn! LOL.

Krys

I have found that when using the Faux type yarns, being sure that the stitches are a bit tight and pulled all the way through helps. Otherwise, they can slip back out easily.  I also do as Papersmiles mentioned above, to tack the ends in with matching sewing thread.

I too look forward to seeing your creations.  Actually I love chenille but prefer the lighter weight (smaller diameter yarn) and have made a number of loose fitting clothing items (vests, shrugs, tees, shawls, wraps) using chenille.  The softness is what I like about it.  But because most is made with rayon I don't wash any of the items in the automatic washer.  I either hand wash or I have taken a dry cleaner type sheet (not softener sheet) with a couple of bath towels and refreshed the items that way.  Don't know how to take out stains and very dirty spots though.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:27 PM, papersmiles said:

I too look forward to seeing your creations.  Actually I love chenille but prefer the lighter weight (smaller diameter yarn) and have made a number of loose fitting clothing items (vests, shrugs, tees, shawls, wraps) using chenille.  The softness is what I like about it.  But because most is made with rayon I don't wash any of the items in the automatic washer.  I either hand wash or I have taken a dry cleaner type sheet (not softener sheet) with a couple of bath towels and refreshed the items that way.  Don't know how to take out stains and very dirty spots though.

EVERYONE LOVES the softness of that yarn. BUT, that is terrible yarn! when it comes to washing, drying. It is just not good or a strong yarn, NOT GOOD FOR KIDS!.  Kids stuff needs to be wash very often and needs to be fairly strong to take all that "beating" LOL.

That is good to make something and just LOOK at that!. Do not use it LOL

Krys