Sign in to follow this  
anewlearner

Emma

Question

Hi guys I’m crocheting a giraffe (the one by Hooked) but I’m now struggle in round 2 after getting a ring.

round2: *2dc in the next 5sts* repeat from * to *

can someone help? Thanks 

2 answers to this question

Read "in the next 5 sts" as "in each of the next 5 stitches", so you will be doubling the stitch count from 5 to 10 stitches over that span.  (this is a normal second row of a circle, start with x and then add x each round).

A repeat is "signaled" by an asterisk at the start of the repeat (always), and often but not always with an ending asterisk.  In other words, *blah-blah*, repeat from * to * is the same thing as  *blah-blah, repeat from * .

This link might prove helpful for reading patterns https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern   I've linked to elements of reading a crochet pattern, but there are a LOT of other helpful things in the menu at the right side of the page.

10 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Read "in the next 5 sts" as "in each of the next 5 stitches", so you will be doubling the stitch count from 5 to 10 stitches over that span.  (this is a normal second row of a circle, start with x and then add x each round).

A repeat is "signaled" by an asterisk at the start of the repeat (always), and often but not always with an ending asterisk.  In other words, *blah-blah*, repeat from * to * is the same thing as  *blah-blah, repeat from * .

This link might prove helpful for reading patterns https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern   I've linked to elements of reading a crochet pattern, but there are a LOT of other helpful things in the menu at the right side of the page.

Thanks 😊 I will try it out now