August 2020 Table

Tampa Doll

It is August again and I thank the tech. Gods for AC.

Every year I make this statement, but I don't think I could of lived back when they wore so many cloths.  Can you imagine putting on all those layers of clothing without AC?

Gone With the Wind was my Mom's favorite movie.  When I was 16 she took me and my sister to the movie house in Philly.  It was a movie house you don't see anymore.  It had a stage and big red curtain.  The whole place was red and gold.  The lobby was opulent with glitter of red and gold.  I think my sister and I were the youngest people at the movie.  I fell laughing when in the movie they show Clark Gable at the bottom of the stairs.  There was a collective sigh in the place.  I really enjoyed the move and I still do. Mammy was my favorite character in her red petticoat and of course Prissy.

August was the month we went to Ocean City, NJ for a week.  We stayed with a friend a block from the beach and boardwalk.  It was our last vacation before school started.

In this time of having to distance and stay in, I hope we can look forward to once again having vacations and lots of fun with family and friends.

August 2013 Gone with the Wind Table 002.jpg

August 2013 Gone with the Wind Table 006.jpg

• Like 2

Mary Jo that is beautiful.

There is an art house movie theater near my sister that still has that set up.  It is always a treat to go there.  Not sure how well they are doing or will do with COVID but it was always a favorite place of mine because of the atmosphere of the place. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all.  Yeah, the movie house was the old one from when they had shows before the movie.  Mom told us that they use to go there during the war and sometimes got dishes with the price of the ticket

I always dedicate this table to my Mom, as her birthday is the end of the month and of course because she loved Gone With the Wind.  She would of been 100 this year.

It's funny you should mention the heat we had very little air conditioning growing up and somehow we slept at night.  I remember sometime in my elementary school years my parents getting one for their bedroom and by jr high I think we had one for our bedroom but I was in college before there was one downstairs.  We used fans but we also spent lots of time outdoors.  My parents had one of those outdoor summer tents set up on the patio that was under the trees and we spent lots of evenings out there reading, playing games, etc. by those old lights you used to string up.  We did have fans but AC was minimally used even when we had it.  It was primarily used to reduce the humidity it wasn't run constantly the way I use mine now.

Now I can't sleep in May without the AC.  I just have no tolerance for heat.  I also have AC upstairs and down.  My grandmother never had AC and never wanted it.  She couldn't tolerate the cold of it as she got older but she was used to the heat and never got used to the AC.  My grandparents on my Dad's side were like that too.  They really didn't use much AC even once they finally had it as central in their homes.  They just were used to fans and when they were older they couldn't tolerate the cold.  That was one thing that always puzzled me when I went to nursing homes to visit families in previous summers.  I always found them hot but I was told many of the residents can't tolerate the AC.  I notice my MIL now goes everywhere with a sweater even when I'm sitting as close to an AC blower as I can get.  So perhaps with age there is something I don't know.

I was also laughing about your comment about the dishes.  Growing up we never seemed to buy dishes or flat ware from the store.  They always seemed to come from some promotion be it gas stations, green stamps, grocery stores, etc.  There was always something going on to get a set of something including cooking pans.  I remember how odd it was when DH and I got matching dishes as a wedding gift.  The ones I had previously had been passed down from one of Mom's promotions and no there was rarely a complete set.  Some how the promotion always ended before they got all the pieces they needed.

• Thanks 1

Everything looks great!.

Your Mammy looks beautiful :).

I love that movie "Gone with the Wind". We might not be able to see that movie any longer. Because it is called a "Racist movie"!!. What a CRAP!!!. Some people just going crazy!. Everything is RACIST!!!. Our Flag is Racist,  Monuments are Racist, many names of our streets & bridges are Racist!!. Now they want to stop teaching History in schools. Can you believe that???.

That is a start of Communism, that is exactly how it starts. I know all of that I been raised in Communist country. Believe me that is a very bad place to have to live in it!!.  Even those who want those changes now pretty soon will find out they made a very BIG mistake! And there will be no way back :(. Like: USSR, Venezuela, North Korea, Cuba. Poland was under Russian Communism for about 40 years.

To build something beautiful & free like this country- USA. That took a very long time. To destroy ALL of that can be done very fast. Probably about a year, maybe two but no longer. 

I will be able to watch "Gone with the Wind" at any time. I bought that movie :). I got everything on my disks.

Krys

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand Brenda.  We grew up with fans in the windows.  During the day, upstairs was closed up and down stairs was open.  The fans were taking the air out.  At night the downstairs was closed up and the windows upstairs was open.  We got one window unit after a while, because of my allergies.  I  got the AC. :rofl

I have this movie on VHS and DVD.  I am looking at getting it on VUDU.