family heirloom

DebbieH

Question

Hello, I have a crocheted afghan made either by my Mother (right-handed) or her sister (left-handed).  I would like to know if you can tell by the stitch if it was done right-handed or left-handed.  Unfortunately both my Mother and Aunt have since passed away when I found it in my Mother's closet.  This beautiful afghan was given to my late Grandmother back in the 1970's.  Since my Mother was in possession of it I'm guessing she was the one who made it.  Please help me.  I have family members who are questioning the maker of this.

On another note, I am so excited to have found this site! I want to learn more stitches than the one my Mother taught me - the broomstick.  I see so many beautiful patterns I am anxious to try.  This is such a blessing for me to have found you all.  THANK YOU!

DebbieH

IMG_0269.jpg

3 answers to this question

Hi Debbie, welcome!  

From what I understand, some left handers work in a true mirror fashion, working across a row from left to right instead of right to left as a right handed would.  In that case you might be able to tell what direction it was worked by studying it carefully.  You'll need to look for clues like where the turning chain appears, and be able to distinguish the top and bottom/back and front of a crochet stitch.  You can look at tutorials for right and left handed crocheting to see how the appearance compares. 

But a lot of people are somewhat ambidextrous and mix things up.  Some people sort of create their own unique way of forming a stitch.  In those cases it will be really hard to determine the handedness of the maker.  

Either way, it's a classic , pretty afghan!  Maybe your mom and aunt both worked on it 😁

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much Magiccrochetfan and Tampa Doll for your help.  I have other afghans I know were done by my Mother that I can stare and compare the stitching now that I have a clue what to look for.  And yes, I absolutely treasure this beautiful heirloom.  It brought a smile to my heart when I discovered it.

• Thanks 2