debra

debster89

Question

my practice gauge is supposed to be 11 HDC x 11 HDC rows = 4"....
my practice turned out to be 3.5" in length (instead of 4") but the 11 rows was correct at 4".
1) How do I correct the length? should I just add chains to the starting length to reach the correct size? Or should I go up in hook size?
2) If I go up in hook size, with that change the height of the rows??
I'm making a Shawl with pockets, so the length (156 stitches) ended up being 6" too short.

2 answers to this question

Hi Debra.  A couple of things you need to do before you make any decisions.  

The entire swatch should be bigger than four inches.  Then you measure and count sts in the central four inches.  

Also launder the swatch as you will the finished item.

^ What she said, but also - it depends on what you are making--I always have the same problem as my stitches are on the short side of 'average'.  Where you can be OK with a correct width gauge but not height gauge is garment patterns that tell you to work to a measurement rather than a # of rows, or something like a blanket or potholder where you can add/subtract more rows.  Where it won't work well would be a raglan type sweater, or a hat (working center out in the round), where adding more rounds will not work, because you also need to add stitches to avoid deforming the shape.

For something where the height matters, I'd try a taller stitch - example try DC instead of HDC in your case, or if it called for SC, try extended SC (ESC).