Gauge

StitchedbyJules

Question

1 answer to this question

If your hat is made top down (most are), and is made to fit (not slouchy), they typically start with a flat circle then 'work even' to the brim.

For a plane (flat) circle, the formula is pi x diameter.  Or, the circumference divided by pi is the diameter.

Measure your head circumference, where the brim line would be.  Mine head is 22".  22 divided by pi (3.14) is within a thousandth of an inch of exactly 7".

Let's say you have the same measurement - follow the hat pattern until your circle diameter is as close to 7" as you can get, for a beanie you don't want it loose, so you probably want to aim for somewhere between 6.5-7" across .  Then, work without increasing until the head depth is where you want it to be.

Here is a link to average head sizes for kids, men, women.

Don't feel bad about your gauge; we are all human and have different gauges, including designers; and a designer may have a lofty stitch height gauge, and you have a short one, or vice versa.  I make a lot of doilies in the round and make shortish stitches, so I'm often having to tinker with a pattern to get it to lie flat.

• Thanks 1