Eileen

eileen103444

Question

Hi,

I am fairly new to crochet and have recently learnt how to do bobble stitch . The pattern i am working on is a sheep and thought i was doing ok ,until the 16th rnd . I had 54 stitches at the end of rnd 15 , which was as should be . But on completing the 16th rnd found i was half way through the sequence, which is - * 1sc into next st , 1 bobble st into next st, 1 sc into next 2 sts , 1 bobble st into next st , 1 sc into next 2 sts , 1 bobble st into next st ,repeat from * ending round with 1 sc into last stitch . 54 sts .                                                                        But i end up in the middle of the sequence , how can this be correct .  I make that an  8 st  sequence and 8's do not go into 54 , am i working this out wrong or is the pattern wrong ? 

Help !   

6 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  That's a good question, did the last row end with a 54 stitch count as well?

The pattern is symmetrical (bobbles with 2 sc between all around), so if there is an error it's not obvious to me. 

If I were doing this, I'd want to keep it looking symmetrical more than sticking to the 54 stitches that don't work.  8 times 7 happens to be 56, only 2 stitches more than the 54 that you have, and the worst thing that can happen by adding 2 stitches is making a slightly fluffier sheep.  What does the prior round consist of?  If it is plain SC, I'd consider ripping the last stitch of the last round out, put a stitch marker in that newly bare stitch so you don't lose your place, and rip until you are half way back across that row; put 2 sc into 1 in that spot, then work back to the end and put 2 sc into 1 in the marked stitch (and mark the new last stitch again to keep your place in the round)- this will increase your stitch count to 56 fairly subtly so the bobble round will work out.  

Hi Granny Square , i will give your answer a try , it sounds good to me . Thank you very much , it really is a puzzle to me . This is one of the first patterns i have followed and the most perplexing . Lovely to hear from someone over the pond as i am in the UK , 30 miles from London . This is the picture of what it should look like . 

Sheep Crochet.jpg

:waving Waving from 8 time zones away on the west coast of US (I used to work for a company headquartered in the UK and kept track of your time zone for Skype meetings)   Your sheep pattern is adorable--it looks like this should work especially well as the added stitches probably will be less obvious in the transition from black to white. 

After looking at the pattern again and reading your answer and the word symmetrical that you used . This is what i tried as the previous bobble row was the same amount of stitches 54 that i should end up with . But it was telling me to add 1 sc after the final pattern sequence . Which could not be right as it needed to be the same amount, therefore i just did that row again and missed out the one that added the stitch . The sheep is at this moment  hanging out on the washing line , when he is all fluffed up i will send a picture of my efforts . Thank you for your help , you made me stop and think . :waving