What to do on third row?

HelenDublin

Question

Hello!

This is a Sirdar pattern with UK terms. After the first row, it says 'work three rows'. Does this mean I just do three normal rows of double crochet (single in US) with an extra stitch at the end as specified, or should I repeat the instructions for the first row? But I think if I did that it would have too many stitches. 

Also, any tips on crocheting into turning chains? By the time I get back to the turning chain on row 1 when crocheting row 2, it's always lower down than the other stitches I'm working into or just generally wonky! 

Screenshot_20200725_110320.png

9 answers to this question

I'm jumping in kind of late here, but it looks to me like you do work into that first chain.  That to me is what the pattern says.  I would need to put a marker in that chain to be able to find it.  

I agree with Granny Square that this is not standard at all.  

At the same time, being off by one stitch is unlikely to ruin the whole project.  Or you could add a stitch where it is more convenient.  

Thanks Magic! To Helen--My apologies, I completely overlooked that your pattern said to count the turning chain as a stitch.

You could go either way, I agree with 'being short 1 stitch probably doesn't matter', but I think I'd gently urge a new crocheter to 'rewrite' the pattern to start over and add 1 foundation chain and to not stitch into or count the chain as a stitch--because this is how all the future patterns you will encounter will be, and you won't have to remember that you are off 1 stitch from what the pattern says every row.  So your 'rewrite' is just to add 1 foundation chain, and after that you are following the pattern in a traditional way, not using the turning chain as a stitch, and your stitch count will match the pattern.

Welcome to the 'ville!  I just read your into and see you are new to crochet.  

I read it as repeat the first row (row 1, not foundation), which increased 1 at each end.  Because:

The foundation  row ended with 9 dc (I'm using the smallest size info)

Row 1 increased 1 at each end, ending with 11 dc

After row 1 the pattern says:  work 3 rows increasing at each end of every row 17(19,21) dc.  It doesn't say to increase 1 st or 100 at each end, but  adding 1 at each end is the only way to arrive at those numbers.

Row 2 should end with 13, Row 3 should end with 15, Row 4 should end with 17 - so increasing 1 at each end is the only logical way to get there.

Totally forgot about your turning chain question until the instant I hit the 'post' button.  You never work into a turning chain for US SC.  Hopefully there is no sadistic designer out there that would tell you to do that on purpose, because you are right, I imagine trying to work into that chain at the end of the next row would be a huge pain in the posterior..

The turning chain for US SC is 1, and does not count as a stitch.  It's just there to raise your yarn up to the level of the next row.  If you try to stitch into that chain, you will end up adding to your stitch count, which your pattern will never intend for you to do that way--they'd have you make 2 (or more) stitches into the end stitch, not chain for SC.

Here's a post I wrote just last evening about turning chains, I'm being lazy and linking to it but I went into a bit more detail which you might find helpful.

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!  I just read your into and see you are new to crochet.  

I read it as repeat the first row (row 1, not foundation), which increased 1 at each end.  Because:

The foundation  row ended with 9 dc (I'm using the smallest size info)

Row 1 increased 1 at each end, ending with 11 dc

After row 1 the pattern says:  work 3 rows increasing at each end of every row 17(19,21) dc.  It doesn't say to increase 1 st or 100 at each end, but  adding 1 at each end is the only way to arrive at those numbers.

Row 2 should end with 13, Row 3 should end with 15, Row 4 should end with 17 - so increasing 1 at each end is the only logical way to get there.

Thanks so much for your detailed response! It's so helpful. So you think the pattern just wants me to move the 2DC from the second-last stitch to the last for rows 2, 3 and 4? 

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Totally forgot about your turning chain question until the instant I hit the 'post' button.  You never work into a turning chain for US SC.  Hopefully there is no sadistic designer out there that would tell you to do that on purpose, because you are right, I imagine trying to work into that chain at the end of the next row would be a huge pain in the posterior..

The turning chain for US SC is 1, and does not count as a stitch.  It's just there to raise your yarn up to the level of the next row.  If you try to stitch into that chain, you will end up adding to your stitch count, which your pattern will never intend for you to do that way--they'd have you make 2 (or more) stitches into the end stitch, not chain for SC.

Here's a post I wrote just last evening about turning chains, I'm being lazy and linking to it but I went into a bit more detail which you might find helpful.

I had originally assumed that you don't work into a turning chain, but then my stitch count didn't seem to work. Honestly, I think one of the hardest things about starting crochet is getting the counting right! Does the pattern and number of stitches required make sense to you if I'm not working into the turning chain? I saw from your blog that you don't count the turning chain as a stitch, but the pattern wants it to be counted. So maybe it wants me to count it, but not work into it? I'm really sorry for all of the questions. I have been solely relying on online tutorials until now!

Thanks to both of you! I think that's what I'll do then - I'll just add a stitch to the foundation chain. I know everything is daunting for a beginner, but this pattern does seem unnecessarily complicated. I have been very tempted to give up on it a few times!

My sincere thanks to Granny Square, magiccrochetfan and Helen.  Yes, I'm new to crocheting (quarantining is a strong motivator to learn a new skill).  I appreciate your detailed responses.  I will try out your suggestions using a small swatch to practice on rather than on the baby blanket itself.  I've probably crocheted the equivalent of the whole blanket if I include all the rows I've pulled out because the counting is off!  Today I am not touching any yarn so that I can let my pea-size brain take a break and have a beer!  I will let you know how things work out once I get up the nerve to try again.  (Maybe after a beer, it will be easier - anyone have experience with that as a solution?)

Jane