Sign in to follow this  
honct123

What does 'patt over mean'

Question

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me with a pattern I am currently following. I am making the top part of a dress and the pattern is asking me to 'patt over'. I am a fairly experienced crohceter but this is an old pattern so i am not sure what it means?

Here is the part of the pattern, I need help from the part that says 'shape dart', and I will be very grateful for any help!!

1st Row: 1 dc in the 2nd ch from hook, 1 dc in each ch to the end.

2nd Row: 1 ch, 1 dc in each dc to end.

3rd Row: 3 ch, miss 1 dc ( 1 shell in the next dc, miss 3 dc) 3 times, 1 shell in the next dc (miss 1 dc,1 shell in next dc) twice, miss 3 dc, ( 1 shell in the next dc, miss 3 dc) 5 times, 1 shell in the next dc, (miss 1 dc,1 shell in the next dc) twice, (miss 3 dc, 1 shell in the next dc) 3 times, miss 1 dc, 1 tr in the last dc.

*4th Row: 3 ch, 1 shell in centre of each shell to end, 1 tr in the 3rd ch of the 3 ch (17 shells)* Rep the last row twice.

Shape Dart:

Next Row:3 ch, patt over 14 shells, 1 tr in the next 2 ch, sp, turn.

Next Row: 3 ch, 1 dc in the next 2 ch sp, patt over l0 shells, 1 tr in the next 2 ch sp, turn.

Next Row: 3 ch, 1 dc in the next 2 ch sp, patt over 9 shells, 1 shell in the 3 ch loop of turning ch, 1 shell in the 2 ch sp along side of the 1 tr, patt over 2 shells, 1 tr in the 3rd ch of the 3 ch turn.

Next Row: 3 ch, patt over 13 shells, 1 shell in the 3 ch loop, 1 shell in the 2 ch sp along side of the 1 tr, patt over 2 shells, 1 tr in the 3rd ch of the 3 ch. Rep from * to * until side edge measures 5in.

1 answer to this question

I love vintage patterns, but they can be little mystery novels sometimes.

I'm going to guess that the pattern is the pattern established in row 4, which is repeated twice before the dart shaping; row 3 transitions from plain DC to shell repeats.

Sometimes looking at the photo of the finished item can answer questions like this--is it mostly shell stitches in this area of the dress?