Hook brands - pros and cons

perigrine

I like Boye the best, although I'm still searching for a 10.00 mm hook that I like, from any brand. After all your posts slamming Crystallites, I'm certainly going to give those a pass!

PAM

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my Boye Hooks! However I don't like using my P Boye Hook! For something requiring a larger hook I prefer to use the Red Heart Plastic Ones. I have several and they are my absolute favorite! Everytime I try to use my Boye P hook it catches on the yarn!

I got this little plastic sized I hook awhile back and it was different than the larger ones I had gotten. It weighs nothing and is all but impossible to work with.

I haven't had any luck finding new and interesting hooks at my local stores. Rag Shop got in an assortment of Bamboo hooks and the next time I stop in there I'm going to get one...

oh dear. I was scouring the op shops yesterday for 8 ply cotton and came across some more 'unbranded' hooks. All are blue. Two of them, um..'stack' - the hook end can be slid into the handle end to make the three inch hooks longer (does that make sense?) The other one is kind of like a double ended one, but with two sizes, and the hooks off set.

I might go around to a friends place to see if she can take pictures of all these odd hooks I now have.

I ordered some Takumi bamboo crochet hooks by Clover and I really like them. They're in line style, like my beloved Susan Bates, and they're lightweight and smooth, and very easy to work with. :yay

This site has Aero hooks in 10.00 mm. They're Canadian, but ship promptly to the US. I've used them. Aeros are closer to Boye than Bates.

http://www.yarnforward.com

I like Boye the best, although I'm still searching for a 10.00 mm hook that I like, from any brand. After all your posts slamming Crystallites, I'm certainly going to give those a pass!

PAM

PAM

Boye is selling a 10mm in the BaleneII line. This is a hard sturdy plastic you might find interesting. I got one in a set today from WalMart, I just had to get some to see how they compare to my vintage Balene hooks from the 80's.

Boye is selling a 10mm in the BaleneII line. This is a hard sturdy plastic you might find interesting. I got one in a set today from WalMart, I just had to get some to see how they compare to my vintage Balene hooks from the 80's.

I have a piccy of the Balene hooks, and I would LOVE to have them myself. I am drawn to them for some reason. Maybe they just look nice?

While I wasn't looking on Ebay to try out my new found Paypal skills ( ;) ) I won these hooks.

I don't know what brand they are. I thought they were Susan Bates, but I can't find a chart or something to check to see what the size/colors are. I'm not overly fussed about what they are, this was a trial bid to learn Paypal.

Does anyone else know? Maybe it wasn't Susan Bates that had different colors for each size? :s

While I wasn't looking on Ebay to try out my new found Paypal skills ( ;) ) I won these hooks.

I don't know what brand they are. I thought they were Susan Bates, but I can't find a chart or something to check to see what the size/colors are. I'm not overly fussed about what they are, this was a trial bid to learn Paypal.

Does anyone else know? Maybe it wasn't Susan Bates that had different colors for each size? :s

I have a HUMONGOUS collection of older aluminum hooks that I inherited from my MIL (I swear she robbed a craft shop somewhere, lol!). They are all almost exclusively Boye. They are all different colors, regardless of size. I don't think they made the aluminums in certain colors for certain sizes, but due to the variety available, if one wanted to use the color as a way of identifying size, it wouldn't be too hard to do. But I don't think it was an industry standard, far as I can tell. The aluminums in the picture look like my Boyes, I'm guessing you'll be able to verify name when you receive them. It should be embossed on the thumbrest of the shaft, along with the size. Mine also have a price on them: 35 cents!

It's hard to tell from the photo but at least one is a Susan Bates hook. The others appear to be either Boye or Hero.

Susan Bates at one time used different color packaging to denote different hooks but that was back in the 50's.

On most hooks you cannot tell the size by the color. Some like the Addi tubo has a different color handle for each size hook, but Boye and Bates did not.

Hope this helps.

Emily

Hey,I've got several tulip steel hooks and they seem pretty ok... i think they're made in japan but they are all thet can b found in Malaysia, as far as i've seen. the sizes start somewhere below 0.9 mm (size 8) and end at 1.6 mm (size 1) as far as i know. however, my aunt gave me a double ended one she used to use back in d seventies size 1/0 and 2/0 (no size in mm).

I also have a rose hook, 3/0 and 4/0, double ended, steel. I'm not sure where they are from though. the quality is not as good tulip as the hook is not smooth enough.

Hope I helped!!

I really love Clover's Soft Touch Hooks. Since I have been using them it has been hard to switch to anything else, especially back to Boye or Bates.

Last week I got a pair of Addi Turbo knitting needles and I LOVE them. I really want to try an Addi hook.

Susan Bates at one time used different color packaging to denote different hooks but that was back in the 50's.

oops..well..I was kinda right....if 50 years out of date :ohdear

I love love love the Clover Soft Touch hooks. After using the Soft TouchI find it hard to use any of my old Boye hooks, which are my favorite next to the Clovers. The thing I like best about the Clovers is the handle...it forces me to slide the yarn all the way down around the throat to ensure even, perfect stitches.

However, being an equal-opportunity hooker (ha), I am going to purchase some Susan Bates, Skacel and Aero hooks to see which hook brand is the best...informal research.

Also, my friend is heading to India next Monday and he has promised me he will bring me back some wooden Surina hooks, which are made there.

Archived