Stuck on a new row :(

Jeragess

Question

Hi!

I’m hoping one of you lovely people can help me.. I’m very new to crochet and just starting my first project following this YouTube tutorial: 

It’s been going surprisingly well so far but somehow I’ve gotten stuck when trying to start my 4th repeat going from a single crochet row to a double (using US terms as in the vid). I’ll try and add a picture of where I’m up to atm.. I tried to turn my work to start on the next double row but it was getting stuck trying to pull through the second stitch, I think maybe because the working yarn is in the wrong place? Like it’s in front when it feels like it should be behind... Honestly have no idea what went wrong or how to fix it but it’s driving me mad :) 
If anyone is able to figure out my mess and set me back on the right track I will be so grateful!!

https://postimg.cc/DS3YYNfH

Edited by Jeragess
Uploaded photo

2 answers to this question

Do you knit?  Because you made me tilt my head a little when you asked if the yarn should be in front or behind, which is more of a knitting thing that matters.  For crochet, I'd say 99.9% of the time the yarn is 'above', or at least very rarely in front (the only thing that comes to mind is a crochet 'purl', but that doesn't come up often; only time I've seen it is in reference to a certain sort of multi-color work).

edit - I'd missed your pic link at the bottom, yeah no the yarn does not belong there.  Put that strand working strand above, or at least behind.

Edited by Granny Square

16 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Do you knit?  Because you made me tilt my head a little when you asked if the yarn should be in front or behind, which is more of a knitting thing that matters.  For crochet, I'd say 99.9% of the time the yarn is 'above', or at least very rarely in front (the only thing that comes to mind is a crochet 'purl', but that doesn't come up often).

edit - I'd missed your pic link at the bottom, yeah no the yarn does not belong there.  Put that strand working strand above, or at least behind.

Aah thank you!! Did some manoeuvring with the working strand and I think I’ve sorted it now.. not entirely sure how but if it works, it works! I guess this is what happens when you jump in without learning the proper techniques first 🤣

Thanks again for your quick advice!