2020C8

Help Keeping A Pattern Flat

Question

I am working on a blanket that I have started with a corner to corner square graphgan.  I have gone around the edges of the completed square trying to come up with a relatively easy pattern that won't take forever to enlargen and make into a blanket size.  I've gotten to where I have 64 dc on each side, but would like to change to a faster v-stitch pattern and am having trouble keeping it flat.  It either rolls up at the corners, or starts to bunch up along each side.  I am relatively new to crochet, but have managed to make several other beautiful blankets and this has me stumped.  I would love to know better how to create a pattern that will stay flat, but searching online hasn't helped. Thanks for the help! 😀

dog blanket corner.jpg

dog blanket.jpg

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  What an adorable blanket!

I think you might have to rip back and re-do the last 3 blue rounds--the last white round looks like it has 5 stitches in the corner, which is the 'rule' for turning square corners in US DC. What I like to do is make the middle stitch a chain (for plain DC rounds), because it removes a little bulk and turns a sharper corner (so 2dc, ch, 2dc).

Since your last round looks like a V stitch of dc, ch, dc, you could continue the corners with dc, ch, dc, ch, dc for the 5 stitches into 1 stitch.  Or, dc, 3 chains, dc perhaps.

Thanks, I will try the other corner option and see if it helps.  The last round I had done in the picture was (dc, ch 2, dc, sk 2) and I am not sure if I like it or not.  I was trying to get away from straight doubles with a bit of a pattern.  I just need to figure out how to make up a pattern. 

Ah, I'm surprised it was as flat as it was.

(1dc, ch 2, 1dc) into 1 stitch, sk 2 creates 4 stitches (2 dc + 2ch), but only traverses (uses up) 3 stitches (the 1 you made the V stitch into, and the 2 skipped), so there's a recipe for 'not flat' right there.  For a shell or V stitch, the number of stitches you create (including chains 'in the air'), and the number of stitches you 'use', need to cancel each other out to be flat--so you either should have only chained 1, or skipped 3.  You need to count the chains in this case because they are creating width, even if they don't 'go into' a stitch.  (I hope that makes sense).

Okay, I was trying to figure it out but the V part confused me.  I will go back and try it with a chain 1 instead.  I can't remember why I tried the ch 2 now....