Decrease on a round granny stitch

AngelfireAlly

Question

Hi! 
I’m making a bean bag chair cover, I used the round granny stitch. While looking up how to decrease to finish off my “bag” I’m at a lost. I can’t find anything to help on the internet. Would anyone know how to decrease? Or any other tips? I thought about just making a duplicate circle and sewing the two together, or changing the pattern for the other side. Any ideas? 
thank you, 

1 answer to this question

Whoa, bean bag chair takes me back a lot of years to my first apartment when bean bag chairs were a new thing.

The thing is, bean bag chairs aren't made like 2 flat circles sewn together at the edges, look at how your bean bag fabric is seamed - it's more like segments of an orange, since that's the best way to make a sphere in fabric.  You need to crochet a big ball instead, so if you have made a flat circle NONE of what you have done is going to work, except maybe the very first few rounds...you either need to rip and start over, or maybe keep going with the same increase 'scheme' and make it a flat round afghan for the bean bag instead. 

Edit: thinking about this some more, the 'sphere' might be not exactly round, I'm seeming to recall that the bottom was a large flat circle (where the zipper was), which makes sense for stabilization I suppose, but would make the shaping even more complicated.

There are tutorials of how to crochet solid spheres, the only thing I can suggest is look at one or a few of these patterns and see how it's done in concept, but a warning:  you are designing a whole new thing by making it so big, and the granny shell pattern is going to make it much more complicated.  Let's put it this way, I've been crocheting sincebefore my bean bag days, and I would go with the round afghan.  Designing from scratch, especially on such a big thing, entails making the thing at least 1.5 to 2 times (depending on how fussy you are), it can be a lot of '3 rows forward, rip 2 rows back because that didn't look right' sort of thing.

To answer your question literally, which would cover a bean bag...pancake?  I would reverse the way the increases were made.  I imagine the increases were made by increasing in 'rays' out from the middle, I'd make maybe a round or 2 without increases and then 'dc x together' instead of increasing by putting x into 1 stitch or chain to increase.

Edited by Granny Square