Can Annie's Attic Pillow Doll gowns be used as regular Barbie gown

Charmtrache

Question

Hi there.  I hope someone can help me.  My niece saw a pattern at a thrift store for an Annie's Calendar Bed Doll Society gown and fell in love with it and wanted it made for her Barbie.  I bought it but since I don't crochet, I wasn't sure if it is possible to make these dresses without the pillow part and if they would actually fit a regular Barbie. I know someone who does crochet but before I bring it to her I wanted to be sure it is possible do do.

Thanks for any help.

5 answers to this question

I just googled "what are the measurements of a Barbie Doll and got this site:

https://www.knitting-and.com/crafts-and-needlework/knitting/tips/toys-and-doll-clothes/doll-sizes/

Hopefully your pattern gives you a diagram with measurements, so you can compare them to the above and see for yourself, or your crocheter friend might be able to 'tweak' your pattern to conform to Barbie measurements.

My bad, I should have looked up Annie's Attic Pillow Dolls first, I can't find that they are selling the dolls any more but I found pattern booklets that showed the dolls; if nothing else they are little girl dolls so no 'figure', and also appear to be shorter (but hard to tell, I know 'bed dolls' often are just the top half of the doll!

It's too bad Annies is no longer selling the dolls, an option might have been to buy the doll or one the same size and your niece would have a dressed doll to display, just not her Barbie.

Edited by Granny Square

Just a note if she decides she likes the patterns e-pattern central has copies of many of the bed doll patterns which call for an 11 1/2 inch fashion doll.  The standard Barbie is technically 11 1/2 inches although they seem to be making multiple sizes now.

You can find the dress patterns here.  I'd suggest waiting for one of their sales as they have them constantly that bring the prices down to $2 or less.

I've never made the bed doll patterns but I have made some of the other old Annie's fashion doll patterns for Barbie and for the most part I found they fit.  Sometimes they needed a little adjustment for size as even when I was making them I found Barbies differ in versions in certain measurements.  When I made clothes for my nieces I always tried to make sure I had the same model they were dressing so the clothes would fit.

I just reread your post if you want the gown to fit, I'd suggest making sure the person making the doll has a doll to size the outfit on while she's making it.  There is a great deal of work that goes into those gowns.  The last thing you want is to not have it fit when it is done.

I have made many of these patterns.  You can make them without the pillow part, as long as you make some kind of full slip for underneith.  They do fit regular Barbie dolls.  I have always used the Barbie dolls.  It is only the Paradise patterns that you have to play with the size.

I hope this helps.  If you need more help, give me a shout with a PM.