Sign in to follow this  
Vivy

All in one pattern

Question

Is there such a thing as a crochet blanket pattern that crochets the border as you go? I have a terrible time adding borders at the end ! I feel they spoil all my hard work!!!

3 answers to this question

You don't have to add a border if you don't want to.  A lot of patterns don't include one.   

Patterns worked "in the round" , from the center out, such as large squares, rectangles or round ripples don't need borders. If your afghan looks good without it, skip the border.

Ellie 13

A lot of blanket projects I see have added borders that are like 'lipstick on a pig' and detract rather than enhance.  "Less is (usually) more".  Most blankets don't need a border as said above, and if you MUST, make sure it compliments the design - example, don't put a super lacy border on a geometric design blanket.

Striped blankets are IMO better left borderless, since when you work into the side of a stitch it won't look as nice/even as when you work into the top of a stitch.  This goes along with what Ellie13 said, if you make the blanket center-out, you don't have any stitch sides, only stitch tops.  Along with this, if you have a solid blue color blanket worked back and forth, and want a white border for example, work a round of sc in blue first - the uneven blue-on-blue is not noticeable, so the white will all go nice and evenly into blue stitch tops.