Sign in to follow this  
Rachel1980

Pattern help

Question

I’m a crochet newbie and I’m having a problem with a pattern I’m following and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Can anyone help me please? 

The pattern is: 

1st rnd: dc6 into magic loop (6)

2nd rnd: inc in every stitch of the rnd (12)

3rd rnd: Repeat dc1 inc 6 times (18)

4th rnd: Repeat dc1 inc 9 times (27)

5th rnd: Repeat dc2 inc 9 times (36)

6th rnd: Repeat dc5 inc 6 times (42)

7th rnd: Repeat dc6 inc 6 times (48)

I’m fine up until the 5th rnd and then I’m lost. For the 5th rnd should I be dc’ing the first 9 stitches because if I do this it’ll increase the stitches by 18 which isn’t correct? So then I thought maybe it means to dc every second stitch 9 times which would make sense number wise but when I apply this theory to the next couple of rounds the circle is no longer flat. If anyone can help me I’d really appreciate it! 

5 answers to this question

Third round ended with 18 so that's what rnd 4 starts with.

4th rnd: Repeat dc1, inc 9 times (27) -- 9 increased/doubled + 9 not increased = 18+9 = 27, check.

5th rnd: Repeat dc2, inc 9 times (36) -- 18 not increased, 9 increased/doubled = 18+18 = 36 - check, notice the pattern changes at this point from 1 not-increased to 2.  So the pattern adds up.

I agree this isn't the usual scheme to keep a circle flat....I assume this pattern is in UK terms?  The rule of thumb for UK DC to keep a flat circle is start with 6, and add 6 each round.  This follows the pattern except rnds 4 & 5. which throws in repeats of 9 instead.  What this does is add a row's worth of increases, but with 1 fewer rounds completed....if you'd kept with adding 6 each round, you'd have 42 in round 7, not 48...

Not sure of the 'why', one possibility might be that the designer did this to keep the item flat with her stitch gauge, because everyone's stitch height gauge is a little different.

What are you making?  Just checking, you're sure it IS supposed to be flat, right?  Example, for a hat, which usually does start with a flat circle until a certain diameter/circumference is reached, I could see subtly cramming more stitches into fewer rounds (making a dome, instead of the usual cylinder shape) to get a multi-round stitch repeat to fit and have the hat come out the right length.

Thank you so much for your help. I understand things now. 
And yes you’re totally right. I don’t think it’s actually meant to be completely flat as I’m making a cuddly toy.

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2020 at 11:08 PM, Rachel1980 said:

I’m a crochet newbie and I’m having a problem with a pattern I’m following and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Can anyone help me please? 

The pattern is: 

1st rnd: dc6 into magic loop (6)

2nd rnd: inc in every stitch of the rnd (12)

3rd rnd: Repeat dc1 inc 6 times (18)

4th rnd: Repeat dc1 inc 9 times (27)

5th rnd: Repeat dc2 inc 9 times (36)

6th rnd: Repeat dc5 inc 6 times (42)

7th rnd: Repeat dc6 inc 6 times (48)

I’m fine up until the 5th rnd and then I’m lost. For the 5th rnd should I be dc’ing the first 9 stitches because if I do this it’ll increase the stitches by 18 which isn’t correct? So then I thought maybe it means to dc every second stitch 9 times which would make sense number wise but when I apply this theory to the next couple of rounds the circle is no longer flat. If anyone can help me I’d really appreciate it! 

4thh rnd: Repeat dc1 inc 9 times (27) -actually it should be 6 times as you started with 6 in the first row, 12 in the second row and 18 in the 3rd row. 4Th row 24, 5th row 30.

But if it is for a toy may you need yo increase 9 times to bring out a shape.

Edited by Ganthi
I missed her reply before answering

The pattern does not form a flat circle, did you see the later posts?  I raised the same point and asked the OP if it was supposed to be flat in that area of the pattern, and she agreed it wasn't meant to be flat after all.

Yes Granny Square. I saw that later. As a newbee had some difficulty in seeing the posts and missed it. Sorry for that.