Reading a Granny Square Chart?

Wool98

Question

Is anyone able to explain this granny square chart. It is a Dutch pattern, and unfortunately there is no abbreviation list on the website indicating what each crochet symbol is supposed to represent. 
Would Dutch people use US or UK terminology. If I were to have a guess I’d say UK? :think

From my understanding to begin the granny square I would chain 4 then slip stitch into the first chain to create a ring. From here it gets confusing. I understand I need to do some treble/double crochet, but what do the diamonds ♦️  mean? Also, to create the first treble/double crochet in the 1st chain of the 1st row, does this mean I must chain 3 for this?

Also any advice how to make a colour change in a granny square without it looking obvious would be appreciated, as I want to change the colour after the 4th row :)

If I were to understand how the first row works then I’d be able to easily figure out the rest of the chart!

11053A43-1D18-491D-A458-0DB5EAE3B1C5.jpeg

Edited by Wool98

4 answers to this question

The symbols look pretty standard to me.  The sort of lozenge shaped things are chains, usually they appear as ovals.  

The construction is a little unusual as far as beginning of each round.  

It looks like the image may be flipped, or is intended for left handlers who work from left to right.  

There are tons of Granny pattern diagrams, we could probably suggest some that are a little more standard.  Do you need to use this one particularly?  

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/crochet-chart-symbols  crochet stitch symbols, US terms, which I'll also use below.

To write out the very beginning round: ch 4, join (the solid dot is a slst--is that what you are calling a diamond?).  Chain 3, DC in the same chain you joined into.  *ch2, 3 DC in next chain, repeat from * twice, ch2, DC in first ch, slst in top of the first ch3 (the one I underlined).  You will have 4 groups of 3DC (counting the first ch3 as a DC), with 2 chains between each group.

Even tho it may be charted for a left hander (that wouldn't have occurred to me), I don't see why you couldn't follow it right handed; there are several variations of how (where) to join rounds for Granny Squares and I'm pretty sure I've run into this scenario before in written patterns.

Edited by Granny Square

Hi, Granny Square :waving   On the diagram at first i didn't notice this, but after a while i thought it is working left to right because of the placement of the sl st relative to the ch3 that starts each round.  if you worked right to left, the sl st would be to the right of the ch3, but on this it looks like it is to the left, to me.   

I agree about the many variations of starting places for the rounds in granny square patterns and that this could be worked in either direction---one would just have to adjust a bit for l-to-r as it would'nt look exactly like the diagram.

At least that is how it looks to me 😉

:hi Hi Magic!  Oh, the slip stitch position hmm.  I noticed the slant on the DC crosshatch was 'backwards' and thought that's what you were going by.  

I also just realized I misspoke above, I should have added the below bold part:

ch 4, join.  Chain 3, DC in the same chain you joined into.  *ch3, 3 DC in next chain, repeat from * twice, ch2, DC in first ch, slst in top of the first ch3 (the one I underlined) and also slst across the following DC

OP, The part I just added 'scoots you over' 1 stitch to chain up for the next round to allow for the added stitches as the corners get farther apart each round.