Stuck on reading a pattern

Tomhedgrr

Question

Hi,

I am a beginner and have successfully followed a pattern up till this round where it says:

9dc, place stitch marker in next st of rnd 10, 7ch, place stitch marker in fourth Ch, miss 30 sts

Could someone please tell me in plain English:

1. What they mean by next st of rnd 10

2. The meaning of 7ch

3. Where the fourth Ch is

4. How you miss stitches

Thanks so much

2 answers to this question

1.  What round are you working now?   Can you link to the pattern if it is free online, or tell us its name and location?

2.  Make seven chain sts

3. Put a marker in the fourth of the seven chs

4.  Skip over these stitches, just leave them unworked

To build on what Magiccrochetfan said, and based on similar points of confusion I've seen from beginners in the past.

"Place stitch marker in next st of rnd 10" - presumably rnd 10 was the previous round, and you are working on round 11 right now.  A stitch marker can be a short length of scrap yarn, a bobby pin (my favorite), a bent paper clip, safety pin...usually a pattern tells you this because in the next round it will say "at the marker, do x".

"The meaning of 7ch" - I've seen questions from beginners where they think they are supposed to put a chain into a stitch, but you can't - chains are made 'into the air' for various functional or decorative reasons. So 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, that's the 4th chain.