Question

Hi. I was weaving in my ends for a vintage style potholder I was making for my twin sister when my work got scrunched up and too tight and all I did was weave in the ends by going through the sides without the ends from the color changes I made in my work. The same thing happened when I was weaving in the ends of a doily I was making by following a crochet pattern on YouTube that was in Russian and all I did was weave in the ends twice in the parts where it was all double crochet in the round. Can you please help me? I need advice for weaving in ends in crochet so my work doesn't get scrunched up and too tight. Thanks.

20200625_091458.jpg

2 answers to this question

I can't quite tell what I am looking at; was the doily pretty much flat before you wove in your end?  I'm seeing about a 1" tail in the middle, was that what was left after weaving that end?

I leave about a 6" end to weave in for yarn or thread; sometimes for yarn I split the plies in half and weave 1 section in 1 direction, and the other in another; sometimes I weave 1 way, catch a strand of the fabric, and turn around and weave back the same way, trying to not weave under the stitches, but into the strands.  I do not pull tight, or if it ends up pulling a little tight I pull it back into shape as I go.  Sometimes with the split strands I weave 1 strand vertically up stitches and back down, weaving inside the twist of the other stitches.

Thread is a little different.  You can split strands before weaving, tho I never have; but again I try to avoid only weaving under stitches, I weave thru stitches as invisibly as I can.  Most of the thread stuff I make are doilies, which don't need to stand up to a lot of abuse, so that works.

Back to your doily, how did you weave?  I am guessing that you wove only under the stitches?  (What's throwing me a little is it looks like you must have done this in a spiral).  This is OK, it's just not as secure for something that is going to take abuse, but - I can tell by looking at your fabric that I crochet tighter than you do, and I've never had this happen; I think the key is to not allow the fabric to gather as you weave, or if it does - gently pull the fabric flat as you go as I underlined above.  The good news, unless you did one of my extra-secure suggestions above (splitting strands/going in different directions), you should be able to gently pull it back to where it belongs.

3 hours ago, Granny Square said:

I can't quite tell what I am looking at; was the doily pretty much flat before you wove in your end?  I'm seeing about a 1" tail in the middle, was that what was left after weaving that end?

Same here. I looked at that doily earlier and I could not tell HOW that could happen just by weaving the end??. Unless that end/ends of that thread was pulled a lot in at least two different places?.

Krys