Help

CrafyJp

Question

Hello all need help! I am working on a pattern to make an organized crochet basket, now everything was going good until i started working on the sides. I have to do a total of 100 MCL however when I count at the end I have 99 stitches. I am not going to lie i kept on going (I somehow had an extra stitch at the end and did an increase to help me get to 100 which did not work hence why i have 99) and now back to another row of MCL. Since i had 99 stitches (even with the increase) the stitch count went down again! I am now at 96 stitches. I have no idea what is happening. I know i messed up before and doing the increase wasn't correct but I was frustrated since I redid that round 5 time (seriously i did it 5 times😅)I just gave up and wanted to keep going. I want to obviously do this right however I am so confused. I was hoping someone can help explain as to what i am doing wrong.

Another problem i am having with this pattern (🤦‍♀️) is that it asks for 4 skeins of yarn but I am still on one and i am on rnd 16 out of 33 and it is super small! I finished the bottom of the basket and now on the sides like i mentioned before and I don't think I am going to use all 4 maybe 2 but not four and I am using recommended yarn from the pattern and the correct hook size. So also need help there as to what I am doing wrong if i am doing something wrong 🤷‍♀️ the pattern says by the end it should be: Diameter: 20 cm (7 3/4 in) Height: 9 cm (3 1/2 in) 

As you can see I am struggling definitely above my skill level but i thought it was cute and fun to make and so far was doing good when I was working in the round to make the bottom it wasn't until i got to the sides where everything went downhill. I don't want to give up I am so far already but i am getting so frustrated. Please help if you can! Thank You! 💖

12 answers to this question

What pattern are you using? You can post a link to it or type in a couple of rounds where the problem is.

Often baskets have you using two or more strands of yarn together which would make a difference in the size.

• Like 1

It is a super common problem for beginners to 'get lost' and the ends of rows and lose stitches.

It's also common for beginners to think "d--n the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" and hope the mistake will magically cure itself.  No, it won't, the torpedoes have already sunk you, rip it back to before you waste any more stitches.  I'm a long-time crocheter and still have to rip more often than I'd like to, it's part of the process.

Is this made in the round (in rounds or a spiral?), or are you making pieces worked back and forth in rows, that get sewn or crocheted together?  Most basket patterns that come to mind are in the round, but pieced is not impossible.  The reason Greyhoundgrandma asked for a link to the pattern is there are different 'culprits' of common stitch count errors based on the construction, so knowing how the pattern is worked will help us focus on the right solution.

What is 'MCL'?  That's not a common term.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

Hello thank you both for replying! I probably should have put what that meant sorry MCL is a Mixed Cluster stitch. Unfortunately the pattern wasn't free but i'll post a link to Raverly where i got it so you can hopefully see what i am doing: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/organised-project-basket I also should have mentioned that I am working in the round.

I will copy and paste where I am at though in the pattern:

"Your basket base is complete, and you will now begin to crochet up the basket sides. Don’t turn your work, just start working up the side of your basket. For the next round you will be working into the 3rd loop of the hdc. Rnd 12 - ch 2, *hdc in 3rd loop of each st; rep from * around, making 2 hdc in last st, join with slst to first st. < 100 hdc >

In next round, don’t pull ch 1 between each MCL too tight. After making your initial MCL, begin each subsequent MCL in the same stitch as you finished the previous cluster. Rnd 13 - ch 2, *MCL, ch 1; rep from * around, placing stitch marker in top of first MCL, join with slst to marked top of first MCL. < 50 MCL, 50 ch-1 sps >

Rnd 14 - ch 1, *sc in top of MCL, sc in ch-1 sp; rep from * around, PLT to back of first st, instead of joining with slst. < 100 sc >

Rnd 15 - ch 2, hdc in BLO of same st, & each st around, join with slst in first hdc. < 100 hdc >

Rnds 16 - 18 repeat Rnds 13 - 15"

So I am at round 16 however I started having problems at round 13.

As for Yarn the pattern creator used Fibra Natura Luxor for her basket however she put in other suitable yarn substitutes which is what I am using which is the Yarn and Colors Must Have Cotton 

Edit: thought I had a picture of what I have so far hopefully this will help with the size 

Displaying image.jpg

Edited by CrafyJp

Aha, I figured  MCL might be some sort of cluster, but you never know.  That is an interesting basket.

Ah, I see an unusual thing - right before 'round 13' it says "After making your initial MCL, begin each subsequent MCL in the same stitch as you finished the previous cluster."  

But now...I'm stumped.  I just sketched out 10 stitch tops (from 12), then what round 13 said, and not counting the turning chain, I get 9 clusters and 9 chains.  See below, where ° is a chain and / and \ are the stitches making up the cluster ( _ _ are the stitch tops from the row below).

The only way (or at least, that I'm imagining) the pattern's count would work if there was 1 cluster in each stitch from the row  below (no overlap), and 1 chain between (again, not counting turning chain)

edit, read sketch from right to left, 2 stacked chains being the turning chain

scan0012.jpg

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

What is the stitch definition for how to do the MCL?  and the beginning MCL?

I'm not good at visualizing but if the first cluster is made over two stitches and the rest are made over three stitches including beginning in the stitch with the previous cluster, then the count comes out right. Is that as clear as mud?!

Also you mention having 100 clusters. The side starts with 100 hdc. The next round should be 50 clusters and 50 chains for a total of 100 stitches.

Edited by greyhoundgrandma
  • Like 1

So this is the definition for a mixed cluster from the pattern:

Mixed Cluster - yarn over, insert hook into indicated stitch, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, skip next stitch, (yarn over, insert hook into next st, pull up a loop to 1 cm height) twice in same stitch; yarn over & pull through all loops on hook at once. Begin the next Mixed Cluster in the same stitch as the previous cluster ended. 

I also used this video featured on this website for help it’s for a different pattern but they used Mixed Cluster. She did end hers differently but I don’t know if that’s cause she is working in rows and not rounds…

https://daisyfarmcrafts.com/mixed-cluster-baby-blanket/

The only other solution that I can think of that involves spanning 2 stitches that would work (countwise) is if only every 10th stitch is made with both legs in 1 stitch, the rest spanning 2 stitches.  That 10th stitch would end up with 3 legs in it.  Greyhoundgrandma, spanning 3 stitches versus 2 only gives you 8 clusters for every 10 stitches, if I understood you correctly (I highlighted every other cluster spanned over 3 stitches in red, it was looking a little busy otherwise).

scan0013.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

Seems to me the pattern could use more explanation on the cluster than there evidently is. It's a nice stitch pattern that I hadn't run across before. I've made a number of different baskets and I'm always interested in seeing different ones.

wow thank you guys sooo much for all your help! And you are right @greyhoundgrandma this pattern does need a little bit more explanation or at least a video but it thats just might be me 😅 I am not the best when it comes to reading patterns or diagrams like that but i will say they were super easy to understand and follow so thank you for that! 😄 I am going to put this pattern to the side for now I am still confuzzled about the size so i might get a thicker yarn and start all over with all the tips you all have given me and hopefully i can get this pattern right! 

Thank you again! 💖💖

Kanna Is Excited And Determined! Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid ...

Edit: so I finally got a hold of the pattern creator and I am supposed to be doubling my yarn 🙃 I had no idea that was what i was supposed to do nor do i know how to do that 

as for the extra stitch and not getting to 100 she said to do an increase which I did but again when i got to rnd 16 still ended up with less stitches 

Again thank you for your  help i am going to take it all apart now 🤦‍♀️😅

Edited by CrafyJp