Beginner- very confused

HollyI

Question

Hi, 

I am new to crochet and dont have a clue what im doing. 

My first instruction says 'Row 1: ch 2, dc 7 into second st from hook (alternatively dc 7 st into magic ring) (7).

Can anyone explain this to me as i cant get my head around stitching 7 dc into a ch of 2?

Thanks

Holly

5 answers to this question

^yep.  You can put many, many stitches into 1 stitch, many decorative stitches are made this way (shell stitches for example).  It's also a very common way to start a circle's center by putting up to 16-20 stitches into the second chain of the hook for US SC, or in the 4th ch from the hook for US DC.

Some advice from an old crocheter to a new one - always follow the directions, word for word, even if you are thinking ?what?  98% of the time it works out, but when  it doesn't work out, I can usually figure out what the pattern meant to say.  

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Granny Square said:

^yep.  You can put many, many stitches into 1 stitch, many decorative stitches are made this way (shell stitches for example).  It's also a very common way to start a circle's center by putting up to 16-20 stitches into the second chain of the hook for US SC, or in the 4th ch from the hook for US DC.

Some advice from an old crocheter to a new one - always follow the directions, word for word, even if you are thinking ?what?  98% of the time it works out, but when  it doesn't work out, I can usually figure out what the pattern meant to say.  

15 hours ago, bgs said:

Yes that is what you do---put 7 dc in that one chain to start making a circular shape.

http://www.lindadeancrochet.com/blog/?p=2703

Thanks both. I've done that row and its looking like a circle. 

The next row says: inc x7 (14).

does this mean i continue as i am and do 7 more or is there something else i need to do?

Thanks in advance :)

^what she said.  Typically when you see inc (increase) it means put 2 stitches into one stitch.  Other increases that are more than 2 stitches into 1 should spell it out in a different way (3 or 4 stitches into the next stitch, for example)