Looking for a Blanket Pattern

LoveCrochetQueen

Question

Good Evening,

I’m super excited 😊.  My husband took my yarn shopping ( 1st time I left home in 3 weeks) and found this lovely, super soft Chunky Velvet yarn (Jumbo 7) and had to buy it to make a blanket. I bought all that I saw, so I have 9 balls of yarn  ( 4 Mauve, 4 blush, 1 taupe).  Now that I almost melted in the yarn 🧶 isle I need a pattern or a idea but I’m stuck. I’m open to ideas or pattern. I try to attach a pic of the yarn. Thank you 

image.jpg

6 answers to this question

Ooh, soft and squishy.  9 balls of yarn x 44 yards = 396 yards.

I admit I don't make a lot of blankets, but the ones I have made have mostly been in US #4 weight yarn or smaller, and have taken over 2000 yards off the top of my head.  The problem bulky yarn is that one usually thinks in skeins, but 1 skein of (example) Red Heart Super Saver is about the same yardage as your whole haul of 9 skeins of bulky (one 7 oz ball of RHSS=364 yards).  Let me see what I can find....

Not going to yield a very big blanket I'm afraid, baby size, which is what I suspected.  Your yardage is at the low end of what is suggested for these small blankets, 

A search for free blankets that took 400 yards or less of super bulky; if the search parameters don't 'stay' where I set them ( I don't think they do if I give you a link and you aren't a Ravelry member, and the site just did a software update so all sorts of things changed...), but you should be able to make choices of yardage, yarn weight 'blanket', and so on from the search box and the menu on the left side.  This is just a list of patterns, I chose 'free' in my search, but some links may be dead. If you choose to look for 'not free', some you can buy from the site but most are in a book you'd have to hunt down, or for purchase online elsewhere.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&weight=super-bulky&yardage-in=300-450&availability=free&pc=blanket&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs&page=1 

Thank you very much. Maybe I should hold on to it and see if I can find more yarn. I was hoping to make a blanket for me. Think see the yards got to excited with the fluffiness. Thank you so much ☺️ you have been a great help. Definitely will pay attention to the yards from now on 😉

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&weight=jumbo&pc=blanket&query=blanket&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs

You might look through these patterns for an idea of how much yarn is needed for different sizes and stitch patterns to have some idea of how much more yarn you might need.

• Like 1

I just LOVE all those Velvet yarns :). 

I been working a lot with Bernat Blanket Yarn (it is Velvet). That yarn is a Bulky #6 yarn.  Those bigger balls of that yarn have a lot of yardage - 220 yards in ball. For baby blankets I used little over 2 Big balls. That was probably close to 500 yards for each blanket. For a small Pet blankets (24" round) I used 1 Big ball  for each- 220 yards. Those Pet blankets were crochet little tighter than would been regular blankets.  So I have to agree with Granny Square and the others that you do not have nearly enough  yarn for a regular size blanket.

When it comes to making bigger blankets using those Bulky Velvet yarns I would suggest not to buy small balls ( small yardage). It is hard to weave those bulky ends  to be very secure & not looking bad. The less amount of balls of that yarn you will need to use the better (not that many ends to weave)  :) 

Krys

• Like 2

9 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

I just LOVE all those Velvet yarns :). 

I been working a lot with Bernat Blanket Yarn (it is Velvet). That yarn is a Bulky #6 yarn.  Those bigger balls of that yarn have a lot of yardage - 220 yards in ball. For baby blankets I used little over 2 Big balls. That was probably close to 500 yards for each blanket. For a small Pet blankets (24" round) I used 1 Big ball  for each- 220 yards. Those Pet blankets were crochet little tighter than would been regular blankets.  So I have to agree with Granny Square and the others that you do not have nearly enough  yarn for a regular size blanket.

When it comes to making bigger blankets using those Bulky Velvet yarns I would suggest not to buy small balls ( small yardage). It is hard to weave those bulky ends  to be very secure & not looking bad. The less amount of balls of that yarn you will need to use the better (not that many ends to weave)  :) 

Krys

Thank you so much I had no idea of the yardages until Granny Square point it out. ☺️ When I say the yarn in the isle I was taken with the softness and fluffiness of the yarn. Now Im hoping to find more but apparently it sold out. 😞 This is a super super bulky yarn it’s size 7 and I never used such a thick yarn in the years I’ve been crocheting. Was scared of the thickness and not using the right hook or stitch to make this type Of yarn stand out. So I saw it and wanted to get out of my comfort zone. But I’m still searching so finger crossed I’ll find more yarn. I’m hoping this forum can become my crochet family since I’m the only one in my family that does crochet and when I need help they try but it like I’m speaking in another language. So anything I can learn and improve is a great day for me. 😍

• Like 1