Never been washed crochet 80 year old tablecloth.

MarionGadsden

Question

4 answers to this question

Don’t know how this forum works. I was trying to answer your question before I lost my post. I was stating that you should not wash your table cloth in vinegar because vinegar is a strong base. Try woolite or some other mild soap. Please be cautious not to be heavy with the soap. Then rise with 1 tablespoon of vinegar to a gallon of water to secure that all soap is out of your tablecloth. But I would not soak it in vinegar.

I agree with Catherine409, I wouldn't SOAK it in vinegar, vinegar doesn't clean by itself, but it does help to add a BIT to the rinse water if you have hard water.  I have read in other forums/threads about cleaning vintage linens that suggest using an 'oxyclean' type of detergent (doesn't have to be that brand).  Don't soak it in straight detergent, just add detergent to soaking water.   And of course don't put it in the machine washer or dryer (yes, I've seen threads on that subject too...).

Just saw Horsy's post, we hit 'post' at the same time.  Agree, vineger is a mild acid, and oxyclean contains a mild base (borax, I believe)  You  just don't want to overkill with either on frail vintage textiles.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

I would test a small corner first, just to be safe, with the Oxyclean type product also. Instructions are usually on the box.