Magic ring nightmare

Munuse13

Question

Hello everyone,

I have been having trouble working with a magic circle/ring. I can never seem to work the second round of my pattern when using the magic circle method.

Is it possible to substitute this method with a chain and slip stitch into the first stitch to make a circle ?

For example, if the pattern requires 5 SC inside a magic circle, if possible how could this be substituted for the chain and slip stitch method ?

Thank you.

4 answers to this question

I am one that doesn't trust the magic ring and always do it the old fashioned way.  I thought I would add this link for you to see just how it's made. The first lesson is the older way. I hope this helps. 

Sure, for 5 stitches no problem - actually, for that small amount of stitches:  ch2, 5 sc in second chain from the hook.  A LOT of patterns start that way, and it pretty much keeps the center closed, if that is the effect you are looking for (like the top of a hat, or starting a toy's head).  I think I've put as many as 18-20 stitches into 1 chain starting a circle like that.

Just to help on the magic circle, because it IS pretty cool once you get the hang of it -- I like how you can adjust the opening, sometimes you don't want it closed necessarily - I make a lot of doilies and it is one way of mitigating mild ruffling to open up the center.  Maybe if you think about it a different way--It starts with a slip knot  on your hook that is not pulled closed, with the tail trailing off to the left.  The instinctive move for me at that point is to put my middle right finger on the loop on the hook, so do that and keep it there--this is key.  Keeping your finger on that loop, chain 1 - that's the end of the hard part - really.  Once the loose loop becomes a chain you have secured the circle, so working over it from this point is exactly the same as chaining several, joining, and working around the chains.  Make sure you are working over the circle and the yarn tail - later you can pull it tight to the point you want it to be.

Edit:  it is really important, however you start a circle, to leave a long end and darn it in securely, don't just crochet over it and call it done (you will be sorry).  Some people don't like the magic ring because they think it isn't secure, but it is if you secure the ends properly (which you should do with any other method anyway).  

Edited by Granny Square

1 hour ago, Laraine said:

I am one that doesn't trust the magic ring and always do it the old fashioned way.  I thought I would add this link for you to see just how it's made. The first lesson is the older way. I hope this helps. 

Thank you very much for the help and the link 

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Sure, for 5 stitches no problem - actually, for that small amount of stitches:  ch2, 5 sc in second chain from the hook.  A LOT of patterns start that way, and it pretty much keeps the center closed, if that is the effect you are looking for (like the top of a hat, or starting a toy's head).  I think I've put as many as 18-20 stitches into 1 chain starting a circle like that.

Just to help on the magic circle, because it IS pretty cool once you get the hang of it -- I like how you can adjust the opening, sometimes you don't want it closed necessarily - I make a lot of doilies and it is one way of mitigating mild ruffling to open up the center.  Maybe if you think about it a different way--It starts with a slip knot  on your hook that is not pulled closed, with the tail trailing off to the left.  The instinctive move for me at that point is to put my middle right finger on the loop on the hook, so do that and keep it there--this is key.  Keeping your finger on that loop, chain 1 - that's the end of the hard part - really.  Once the loose loop becomes a chain you have secured the circle, so working over it from this point is exactly the same as chaining several, joining, and working around the chains.  Make sure you are working over the circle and the yarn tail - later you can pull it tight to the point you want it to be.

Edit:  it is really important, however you start a circle, to leave a long end and darn it in securely, don't just crochet over it and call it done (you will be sorry).  Some people don't like the magic ring because they think it isn't secure, but it is if you secure the ends properly (which you should do with any other method anyway).  

You are an absolute life saver !!! I havent been able to try so many patterns because they all started with a magic ring which I just can not master. Thank you very much, but I will definitely be practising working with a magic ring.