GRANNY CIRCLE

PVCAMPBELL

Question

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help! I started a granny circle mandala and decided I wanted to turn it into a blanket, however, my pattern doesn't go past 10 rows, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to increase this pattern! TIA

5 answers to this question

"Flat crochet circle rule" for plain stitches is you start with x number in the first round, and increase by x each round--example, for SC first round is 6, round 2 is 12, round 3 is 18....for DC it's 12, 24, 36....

The way this is done: round 1 is x into the center of the circle--total=x

Rnd 2: *1 st in the next 1 st, increase in the next, repeat--total=2x (so, there is 1 plain stitch between increases)

Rnd 3: *1 st in each of the next 2 sts, increase in the next--total=3x (so, there is 2 plain stitches between increases)

Rnd 4: *1 st in each of the next 3 sts, increase in the next--total=4x (so, there is 3 plain stitches between increases)   

There's 1 more plain stitch is between increases than there were in the round before in each subsequent round.  

Now study the layout of increases in your pattern--I'm sure they are doing something similar in theory. 

Is your pattern a free one on the 'net' that you could link to?  If you all of the above doesn't make sense, if I saw your pattern I could help point out how your pattern has been handling increases up to round 10 and theoretically how it would keep going past that.

edited, see next post

Edited by Granny Square

I used this pattern to create different size doilies a few years ago to put under my kitchen canisters.  It 'sort of' follows the above 'rule' for DC, which is what grannies are; it still uses x=12 but round 1 starts with 24 not 12...row 3 has 12 grannie 'shells'made up of 3 DC, CH 1, so 48 stitches, which is what 'should' be the count for round 4. if it were plain DC--but then round repeats round 3, so no increases, so row 4 ends up at the 'right' count for the 'rule'. 

I know this is sounding confusing.  The 'rule' in the above post is a sound guideline, and the reason the pattern I linked works is that it violates the rule for a row or 2 for appearance/structure reasons but then brings it back in line with the rule before it starts to ruffle.  

56 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I used this pattern to create different ……………..

I forgot about this website. I used to love looking at her posts of her cat, crochet and her beautiful country. I still wonder what happened to her and if she ever found Raymond.