Pattern and Yarn help

NicoleMcCormick

Question

Hello!

I want to make this pattern:https://www.lovecrafts.com/en-au/p/poet-cardigan-crochet-pattern-by-little-golden-nook#materials

Now in the pattern it says GAUGE FOR BACK AND FRONT HDC ROWS 9 ROWS 13 STITCHES IN 10CM 10 STITCHES IN 7.5CM YOU MIGHT LIKE TO CHANGE HOOK SIZETO OBTAIN GAUGE. Yarn: 12ply/Aran weight yarn (Bulky/Chunky works too, check gauge) xs/s 1450m m 1700m l 1850m xl approx. 2000m Meterage will be less for Chunky/Bulky yarn 6mm/J/10 hook 5.5mm/I/9 hook Tapestry needle.

If I use a 10 ply cotton would this work and will it make a big difference in sizes?

https://ribbonrose.co.nz/shop/knitting/12-ply/6432/ashford-wool-12-ply-707-natural-light/ is this too thick when you look at the gauge??

Very confused!! haha Any help would be awesome!!

2 answers to this question

you will have to swatch any yarn and see if you can get gauge or not.  I don't know about 10 ply cotton.  but the Ashford wool you linked looks a little light to me, but again you have to swatch to know for sure.  

^ what she said, swatch, and maybe more than once with different hooks.  I agree, it's hard to tell by looking at a photo but it does look thinnish, you might have to go up to an overlarge hook size for the yarn to get gauge--but the look of the fabric may not be ideal.

Does this pattern come in multiple sizes?  What I sometimes do for a cardigan or pullover if a gauge swatch is off on the width, but I like the fabric 'look' and drape, is measure carefully across a number of whole stitches in the center of the swatch--I'm guessing you are not in the US, so do this in mm not inches, metric is so much easier for the math for this--and figure out the width of 1 stitch.  Let's also say that according to the pattern's finished measurements, a perfect fit for you is a 'medium'.  (this pattern says it's designed to be oversized, so you may have some leeway)  Now look at the pattern for the medium size, and find out what the stitch count is around a critical area - bust, other? - and multiply the stitch count x the width of 1 of your stitches - can you live with that fit?  Maybe measure a similar item in your closet to help you decide.  Then do the same check against the pattern's stitch count for the large size, since it's likely with a thinner yarn your output will be a smaller gauge than the pattern, so you might get close to the medium size following the large pattern.  

Most patterns will give you a diagram showing the measurements of each size at critical points, so adjusting length is simple to do most of the time, your stitch pattern looks like it would be easy to adjust, the trickiest part looks the sleeve as you might have to decide how to deal with the popcorn near the wrist.