Asking for a pattern?

Hello, 

I have an odd question. I almost always find my patterns online free. But when I see I pattern I love and I have to pay I’ll pay. I saw a dress on a Etsy shop but the person sells the finished product. I want the pattern not the finished item, I was tempted to send her a message to see if she’ll sell my the pattern. But didn’t as I don’t know if this will upset the seller or worse.  What can I do?

You can ask but the answer is often no.  They often want to be the source for people who want the item.

It doesn't hurt to ask if they have considered selling the pattern because you would be interested in buying it. 

Just to let you know I asked the girl and she said she freehand the dress so no pattern. So I went ahead and did the same. Have to say I’m pretty proud of myself 😍.the final result is beautiful I would love to attach a pic but not sure if I’ll get in trouble. But thank you for the help and the confidence. 

Edited by LoveCrochetQueen
Wrong spelling

You won't get in trouble, and we'd love to see it--you must be a fast crocheter!  Copyright only applies to words and images (the right to copy).  This is why after a fancy dress award ceremony where celebrities wear $$$$  designer dresses, a day or 2 later you can buy a relatively cheap knockoff dress.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much. you made my day. I have been have some doubts about my passion. I saw the dress and said I have to make one and even dared and asked for the pattern. But with no success. I’ve never done anything without a pattern till now. Thank you for your words 😊