Help with this pattern pleas

Nicky3872

Question

I am in need of some help with this pattern. I can ch 210 and so on but where I get stuck is the next row starting with the Sl st across 21, I have counted the amount and it only totals 189 leaving me 21 sts remaining is this right or am I doing it wrong. Hope someone can help me thanks

image.jpg

5 answers to this question

Hi Nicky, you started another thread a few days asked this question a few days ago and I answered.  Here was my answer:

"You are "short" 21 stitches, which if you notice is the same # that you slst'd into at the beginning end, so the piece is making a symmetrical little hill.

Slip stitching at either end of the row is a way to 'scoot over' without adding (much) stitch height.  You have 21 slipped stitches at 1 end, and 21 unworked  chains at the other end.  Example, something like this (except starting with stitches, not chains) is a really common way to transition from the body part of a front or back piece of a sweater, to the 'indents' you need to make for the armholes--slip stitch across (example) 5 stitches, work across but  stop short 5 stitches from the end, then turn and work rows that are now 10 stitches shorter than the body section was.

I don't think you have done anything wrong, because the result is so symmetrical."

It turns out my example guess was right - you are forming the indents for the armholes.  See the below diagram - see below generic sketch for a top -- non-drop-sleeved sweaters all have a similar construction.  You have just finished the blue area, and now you need to work on the pink area, so the indented area on one side are the 21 stitches you slip stitched over, and on the other is the 21 stitches you 'stopped short of' on the other side.

Blouse Front.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

sorry for asking another question so with the 21 sts left over would it b ok the slip those sts to has I have never crocheted a jumper before and I would say that am ok at crocheting but not a expert I have attached a photo of the jumper, but I did have to purchase this pattern.

thanks so much for your help with this. 

rainbow jumper.pdf

Hey don't apologize, we don't mind lending a hand!. 

Altho there are lots of patterns out there with errors, never make assumptions--do what it says first for that row you think is wrong.  This is the rule I follow, and I've been crocheting for decades - for me, at least, it either leads to a result I wasn't expecting (but was correct, I just erred in visualizing the result beforehand) , or I can usually tell what it meant to say (by following the error) if it was a typo.

Your pattern does not say to slip stitch at the far end, because you would just have to slip stitch BACK over those same 21 stitches to get your hook back to the spot it told you to stop at in the first place.  Look at my drawing again.  Or here, let me draw your row another way, not with the right number of stitches but just the shape:

____ | | | | | | | | ____  the green area are the slip stitches for the first under-arm area, the black | are the US DC across the body, the red | is the last US DC that you will make across the row, the black ___ area are the stitches you do not work into at the end of the row.  You see how this leaves the same amount of an indent on either side?  You do not want to end up at the far end of the row.  Now look at my diagram in my earlier post, you will only be working across those center stitches in the next and following rows (for a while, depending on the shaping of your piece).

Hi there I have another question I have reached the second section see notes.i have counted 21 sts each end and place d sts marks and one in the middle, see attach pic so just want to check when attaching yarn B to do 42ch do I start at end mark the join other end of the chain to the other end marker. Thanks u so much for helping me. First time crocheting a jumper image.thumb.jpg.f83d7a98fb53c6d34f683ed7391335f9.jpg

image.jpg

Nicky3872, I apologize -- I just realized I probably confused the heck out of you because I messed up interpreting the pattern.

The (slightly) good news is that I said the right thing to execute what the pattern wanted you to do, but for the wrong reason.  An important part about making a garment is understanding why you are doing something "OK, the x part of the sweater  needs shaping here, the instructions make sense for that to happen" sort of thing.  I told you the pattern was 'indenting' for the sleeve, but it was actually 'indenting' for the body.  YOUR pattern is made top down, sleeves first, and I was imagining top up with separate sleeves - so ignore my diagram.

So, your last question--you have completed 1 half of the sleeve (I'm guessing the front half, since the last row had taller stitches which might be for bust ease).  You want to attach the yarn in one of the outer marker and chain 42, then attach to the other outer marker, then break off the yarn.  This will form the neck opening, and gives you a foundation to stitch across the opening.  Then you start at the far end of the sleeve and work all the way across, including the chain.