Sign in to follow this  
MaryPat

Daughters of the American Revolution Doily / Table Topper

Completed a DAR doily representing the Insignia of the Daughters of the American Revolution -- designed in 1924 by an Australian Mary Card and published in an American magazine, Needlecraft.  It had a mix of US and UK terms and I checked other issues of Needlecraft and they had the same mix.  So at some point in our American crocheting history, we called a double-crochet a treble. 

The pattern called for size 70 thread but I'm old and so 30 was the finest I was willing to go.  I got to use my vintage WWII hook -- the kind that are black because nickel was in short supply. 

PS: About the magazine: it's often available on eBay but the Antique Pattern Library has the issue in the queue to scan and post as a PDF as a free download.  I don't know how long it will be in queue before it gets posted.  Needlecraft Magazine, July 1924.  If you can print the photo that accompanies the pattern on really large paper, I found it easier to read from that than the written pattern. 

Completed Doily.JPG

WOW That is so beautiful.  

• Like 1