Help Reading Pattern

akimaki

Question

hello! i am quite new to crochet and i find it a bit difficult to read patterns because I dont know all of the abbreviations. 

I'm trying to make a market bag right now, but I can't figure out the pattern directions very well. If anyone could translate them into a bit more beginner language then I'd be extremely happy! Thanks :)

Was also wondeirng if I should use 100% cotton or more of a cotton blend. I'm leaning more towards 100% but its not very stretchy.

1892740967_ScreenShot2020-06-01at4_24_11PM.thumb.png.32eab8e712c85e39ceee87a8db2a98e5.png

ShoppingBags.pdf

Edited by akimaki

3 answers to this question

Round 1
Once you have the ring, Chain 5 (=the chain 5 is equivalent to 1 treble crochet and 2 chains -- this is informational, not a stitch)
The * starts a repeat instruction that you will do 9 more times after the first time you do it, so you will repeat the instruction 10 times in total.
Make 1 treble, then 2 chains

You will then close this wagon wheel looking thing into a circle by slip stitching into the third chain chain of the chain 6 you did at the beginning of the round.  

• Like 1

Welcome to the 'ville, and to crochet!

First, your pattern is in UK terms -  I'm assuming you are in the UK, if not let me know and I'll go down a different path (it's OK, I speak UK :lol )

I may be wrong, but I think the crochet or knit stitch structure gives the fabric most of it's stretch, I wouldn't want the yarn itself to stretch.  Cotton is a common and sturdy material to use for market bags, but a blend would be OK too.

I'm going to pick out bits that I'm noticing that I think might be confusing to a very beginner - if I miss something, let me know.

First of all, I'm seeing 'crab stitch'.  Now, I think that is a very cool stitch and use it a lot BUT if you are a VERY beginner I'd tell you to wait on that one--depends on how brave you are.  It is a decorative and optional edging-only stitch, you can sub a plain dc edging and it will look fine and be just as sturdy.  Reason for waiting - it's disorienting, you have to work BACKWARDS and as a beginner you are just getting the hang of working forwards.  I am assuming that you know how to do the other stitches used here - chain, htr (half treble), tr (treble), slst (slip stitch).  Also assuming you know inc=increase (there are all sorts of increases, but usually if it isn't specific it means 2 stitches into 1).

I'm going to pick out things that strike me as potentially ?? for a beginner.

Assuming the initial ring is clear.  You are starting at the bottom center, and will be initially increasing from this pinpoint to a disk from the center out, then working without increases toward the top.  The first round will be made AROUND the ring -  instead of sticking the hook into the top of a stitch, stick it into the ring, yarn over, and the rest of the stitch is the same. 

Where it says "5 ch=1 tr and 2 ch", it means:  3 of the chains 'stand in for' a treble, the other 2 chains are just 2 chains.  Patterns where this is the case every or many row starts will often tell you this sort of thing just once, as this one does, and you are to understand when a row starts with 5 chains, the same explanation applies.

I'm assuming you know the *  * means to repeat the stuff between the stuff between the *  * as it tells you.  Round 1 will create 10 spaces (each 2-chain span being a space)

I see MaryPat has replied as I've been typing, yep that describes round 1.

BUT, I bet you are stuck on round 2, aren't you?  After reading this several times because increasing 1 space seemed odd, I can't figure that it's telling you to do anything else, so pick 1 spot and do what it says to increase, and finish the round.  Now, go look for 7 things you can use for stitch markers, I like to use bobby pins/kirby grips, but paper clips bent a little or safety pins work ok too.

In a few rows beyond, it's telling you to space a number of increases per round 'evenly', this is where the stitch markers come in - just eyeball what 'evenly' works out to be for the number of increases and put the stitch markers in those spots ahead of time.  

After the increases you will just be working around and around until you get to the top, if you get stuck there come back and we'll help you finish it.

To make you feel better, this pattern is NOT written for a beginner AT ALL, at least the way 'modern' patterns are written.  It's not badly written, but it's very much like very vintage patterns and doesn't give much detail.  I'm a bit VERY annoyed that the designer couldn't be bothered to figure out the math re: where you were to put increases in round 2 to 12 (as in, "increase in every 5th chain space" or whatever it worked out to be).

• Like 1

Thank you guys so much!! Forgot to mention that im not UK based, but I do understand what stitches they are. I'm very much a visual learner but I am confident now to finally attempt this!! (was super confused before at what rounds even were since i've never read a pattern before, but i get it now haha!)

I will try and update you guys if anyones interested. Once again thank you :)

Edited by akimaki