Need help with half-hex

Carol1213

My sister died tragically at the age of 35.  That was in 1975.  When she died she was working on a hexagon afghan that was made up of double crochets only.  I saved her unfinished project in a trunk and never did anything about it.  Recently a new grand-niece was born and I thought about finishing the project and giving it to her mom.  I am a beginner crocheter, but was able to figure out how to do the hexagons, what hook to use so the hex came out looking very close to hers.  It started with a magic circle and 18 double crochets.  After that the hex was double crochets in a pattern that built a hexagon.  Very simple.  Now I need help with the half-hex.  Can't figure out how it was done.  Have no pattern instructions.  It starts with some chains, and what looks like six double crochets.  What do I do after that?  It looks like there are 3 dc together at the top.  Two dc go to one side, some chains (3?) and a dc on the other.  The outer part is one 3ch and 35 more dcs (I think). 

20200601_100506.jpg

Hi Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.😁

I wish I could help, but if you ask this question in the Crochet Help section, I am sure you will get a lot of help.

Hi and welcome!

What a sweet thing to do for your grand niece!  Actually you have already done the hard part figuring out the whole hexagon.  The half-hex starts the same way, from a magic circle in the center--except that instead of going all the way around the circle, you go half way around, turn, work back, turn...you already have a half hex to look at so you can count stitches.  The chains you are looking at on the long straight side are the ends of alternate rows where there is a chain 3, turn...and so on. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your prompt response!  I will try it.  You explained the mystery of the long straight side.  I think I gave this technique a whirl once before but at some point I lost my confidence with it.  3ch, turn, then double crochets at the ends of the rows.

Good luck!  If you can't get a half-hexigon that you like the look of, a lot of hexagon blankets just go with the scalloped shape that the hexagons make; you could add a plain sc border around, adding a couple of stitches in the outside corners and skipping or decreasing stitches in the inside corners for a more finished look.  Like this one for example https://makeanddocrew.com/happy-hexagons-free-crochet-afghan-pattern/

On 6/1/2020 at 10:20 AM, Carol1213 said:

My sister died tragically at the age of 35.  That was in 1975.  When she died she was working on a hexagon afghan that was made up of double crochets only.  I saved her unfinished project in a trunk and never did anything about it.  Recently a new grand-niece was born and I thought about finishing the project and giving it to her mom.  I am a beginner crocheter, but was able to figure out how to do the hexagons, what hook to use so the hex came out looking very close to hers.  It started with a magic circle and 18 double crochets.  After that the hex was double crochets in a pattern that built a hexagon.  Very simple.  Now I need help with the half-hex.  Can't figure out how it was done.  Have no pattern instructions.  It starts with some chains, and what looks like six double crochets.  What do I do after that?  It looks like there are 3 dc together at the top.  Two dc go to one side, some chains (3?) and a dc on the other.  The outer part is one 3ch and 35 more dcs (I think). 

20200601_100506.jpg

Granny square already gave a great answer -- I just looked at a pattern I worked a long time ago and turning is how it was done.  I was concerned when I did mine about the half magic circle, but that gets covered up when you do a border.

• 3 weeks later...