Charted Patterns

MsSaya

Question

Does anyone know if the counted cross stitch patterns can be used for C2C or Graphgahns? If so what would the ratio be? I have so many cross stitch patterns and I just dont do that craft anymore-too hard to see. Thanks in advance

3 answers to this question

I don't see why not in theory, except you'd want to pick a tiny cross-stitch pattern--a 1 c2c 'block' in worsted-weight yarn is probably more or less 1" square, and a cross stitch is probably about 1/5th of an inch square, so (example) if you wanted a 35" square baby blanket, you'd need to use a 7" cross stitch pattern - guessing at the measurements and 'eyeballing' them in my head, but you get the idea to calculate the real numbers yourself....

...which brings us to the ratio which is 'up to you'.  I make sort stitches so my ratio might be different than yours if your stitches are loftier.  Make a small swatch in c2c, or measure an existing project and see how square your blocks are to answer that question.

Also the basic c2c/brick/crazy stitch and whatever else it's called, has 3, 4 and I think also 5 stitch variations, for me 3 stitches would probably be squarer than 4 but that's another thing to look at for your own stitch height to width ratio.

I have experience with picture afghans done in all SCs.  Yes, you can use cross-stitch patterns as long as the stitch you use is square.   My SC is not square -- it's about 20% shorter than it is wide.  If I'm using an acrylic such as Red Heart supersaver, I can make up for the shortness by steam blocking with a cloth.  It kills the ability of the acrylic to go back to its original shape.   I have made wall hangings where I've stretched the height another 12 inches. 

The SC can be made taller by using an extended single crochet stitch (sometimes abbreviated ESC).  Helpful if you're not using something with stretch such as crochet cotton.