Sign in to follow this  
Bini

Mrs

Question

Hello, I just bought a book called My Crochet Doll by Isabelle Kessedjian. I am used to US patterns and this one is UK patterns. Can someone please help me why Round 3 ended up with 24 stitches instead of 21? As 3 x 7 is 21? And round 4 is the same; it should end up with 28 instead of 32?

Rnd 1:  8 dc in the ring.
Rnd 2:  2 dc in each dc = 16 dc.

Rnd 3: *1 dc in the next dc, 2 dc in the next dc*, rep from * to * 7 times = 24 dc.

Rnd 4: *1 dc in each of the next 2 dc, 2 dc in the next dc*, rep from * to * 7 times = 32 dc

Any response would be much appreciated!

4 answers to this question

Hi round 3, 1dc in next then 2dc in next, so you would be increasing in multiples of 2 making a total of 8 increases, 16+8=24 stitches, im assuming you do the first bit and then do it again 7 more times after that, round 4 you are increasing in multiples of 3, making total of 8 increases, 24+8= 32 hope this helps 

Hi Avie, thank you so much for the response. Sorry this is only my 4th project so I’m still confused 😭 Are you able to break it down even more for Round 3 for example? Where does the 8 increases come from?

1 dc in the next dc = This simply mean 1 x dc?
2 dc in the next dc = This is simply 1 increase?

then the above times 7? 
Thought that 24 is the total stitches for Round 3?

Posted (edited)

You increase in every stitch in round 2, to bring 8 stitches to 16. (an increase of eight)   😎

You increase in every OTHER stitch in round 3, every even numbered stitch to be precises, you you make 1 stitch into every odd numbered stitch and 2 stitches into every even numbered stitch, so increase in stitch 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16. Those are 8 even numbers, so you will have increased 8 stitches from round 2.

So the 7 is a semantics thing (you are not the only one to question this sort of wording).  "Do x, repeat 7 times" means you are doing x a total of 8 times.

Oops, I didn't notice  that little smiley face with the shades when I hit post, but I'll leave it there!  I guess that's what happens when you hit 8 and an end parenthesis :lol 

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 2

OMG that makes perfect sense now! So simple, I didn’t think the x 7 meaning 8 in total.

THANK YOU so much! I was scratching my head crazy. Can’t wait to start this doll 😊