Miss

Nicky3872

Question

I am stuck on a pattern and need some help here is the bit am stuck on.

i have chained 210 but when I get to this next row: Sl st across 21sts, sc next 21 sts, hdc in next 21, dc across 84, hdc in next 21 sts, sc across 21sts. Break yarn.

but the only trouble is I still have sts left over and I don’t know what I am doing wrong. Hope someone can help me 

1 answer to this question

You are "short" 21 stitches, which if you notice is the same # that you slst'd into at the beginning end, so the piece is making a symmetrical little hill.

Slip stitching at either end of the row is a way to 'scoot over' without adding (much) stitch height.  You have 21 slipped stitches at 1 end, and 21 unworked  chains at the other end.  Example, something like this (except starting with stitches, not chains) is a really common way to transition from the body part of a front or back piece of a sweater, to the 'indents' you need to make for the armholes--slip stitch across (example) 5 stitches, work across but  stop short 5 stitches from the end, then turn and work rows that are now 10 stitches shorter than the body section was.

I don't think you have done anything wrong, because the result is so symmetrical.

What are you making?  Can you link to the pattern, or a picture of it if there is one one the net?

Edited by Granny Square