Any ideas on heart printed cardigans?

Noobieboogie

Question

I can't find any patterns for something, or anything like this. 😭 I really want to learn to make this either by crochet or knit. Does anyone know where I  can find similar pattern? Or even a sweater? I'm willing to purchase. Or...may have some tips/pointers on how to create a pattern like this myself? 

Thank you 😁

images.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Noobieboogie

3 answers to this question

I'm fairly sure you can find an unpatterned open front 'duster' type cardigan pattern somewhere (I'll take a look after I post this),  I would probably pick one with drop sleeves (like a T-shirt), where the front & back are rectangles (except the front neckline), and sleeves are straight-edged trapezoids.  The photo looks like a set-in sleeve, which might be trickier to line up the hearts.  I think simpler shapes will make it easier to plot out the hearts

Then I'd look for a colorwork heart motif on 'something', like a pot holder or blanket.

The, well not difficult but will be trial-and error, part is plotting out the spacing of the hearts so it makes sense all around.  

Edited by Granny Square

It occurs to me that a pattern that is + shaped, where you make it in 1 piece, would be perfect.  The shape is still the same as a drop sleeve, just without the seam--you start at the back bottom hem, work up too the armpits, extend the sides out to make the sleeves, work across the sleeve+back+other sleeve down to the other armpit, then narrow it back down and work the front--oops, I described a pullover not a cardigan, same idea except half way across the sleeve (at the point the back transitions to the front at the shoulder 'seam' you will stop turn work across 1 sleeve and 1 front down to the front hem, then re-connect the yarn on the other side of the neckline and do the same thing for the other sleeve and front...I forgot to mention that you need to narrow it back down to just the front when the sleeve stops.  

What this will do is give you 1 canvas to plot out your heart motifs; you'd just have to make them bottom up when you start, then transition to top down at the 'shoulder seam' on the other side -- there would be NO interruption of the heart pattern this way.

I know I made a cardigan this way ages ago, I THINK it was in SC but I'm not positive...not sure if it is still online or not, I think it was from Lion Brand...

Edited by Granny Square

This knit pattern was made the same way I was describing, isn't stockinette but might be a starting point https://www.lionbrand.com/knitting-pattern-drapey-cardigan-1.html

Ah, found the crochet one I made https://www.lionbrand.com/knitting-pattern-drapey-cardigan-1.html, unfortunately it does not have a diagram.  It's more of a...batwing? type of sleeve, it's not boxy, and now that I think about it, the squarer sleeve transition might end up easier to plot out the heart designs.  Or :idea maybe if you grabbed some graph paper (you can find printable graph paper online) and plotted either of these sweaters out, drawing just the outline stitch-by-stitch / grid-by-grid, you could then plot out the heart shapes right there...kind of low-tech, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  You wouldn't have to plot out every single heart, but once you plotted out a couple of rows in each section, you'd know how the placement would end up because you'd know the stitch count per repeat in each direction...

Edited by Granny Square