Hello :)

LilCurlyBear

Hi all, my name is Gemma, and I've been crocheting for around 10+ years. I used to just make very basic granny square blankets, but decided to branch out and try more complex designs around 3 years ago. Since the start of lockdown in the UK I've been trying to expand my skills again, and have been making various items, such as scarves, stuffies and (surprise surprise) more blankets! I do love the satisfaction of having made a beautful blanket <3

Until now, and the main reason I thought it would be useful to join a forum, I've always either used a basic acrylic DK yarn for my blankets, or I've joined CALs or subscriptions & been provided with/purchased the yarn packs... but recently I have been trying different patterns and just using yarns I already have... and it really doesn't work sometimes! I recently decided to make a scarf, the pattern called for an Aran yarn that was quite expensive, and would have cost around £30 for a very basic scarf pattern.. I didn't want to spend that much on this particular project, so found another yarn online that was Aran, and called for the same size crochet hook as the pattern did... but when it arrived I found that it was very fine, clearly much finer than the yarn used in the pattern. I persevered and doubled the yarn where needed, and was fairly happy with the end result. But I was stumped to find that 2 yarns that were Aran, and called for the same size hook, were totally different - I honestly thought that Aran yarns were always chunky yarns.

Currently, I am working on a doll using the book 'My Crochet Doll' by Isabelle Kessedjian, and again, the yarn she has used is really quite expensive.. and not paying particular attention I just grabbed something that looked about right from my yarn stash.... and low and behold the clothes I've made don't fit the doll well at all... que lots of swearing and frustrated sweating as I tried to make them fit!! I managed to bodge the pattern enough to have a top and trousers that fit.. but the end result is not particularly pleasing... and looks nothing like the sweet little thing in the book.

So, I know I need to do some research here, but I would also like to get advice from experienced crocheters to try and understand how to pick the right yarns for certain projects. Hopefully me newb questions will also help others :)

I shall post in the help forum regarding my yarn trials and tribulations, as that feels an appropriate place :)

Hi Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.😁

Hello and welcome. Finding the right yarns and getting the right fit is always challenging. It is one of the reasons I do lots of charity crocheting. I remind myself that someone will fit my items no other the size or how it comes out. I have made a few things for myself but as you have found, they don't always fit and the patterns don't always work out in the gauge as written. One thing I found as I crochet an item is to do trial and error fit. I have done this with my doll clothes. I have the doll handy and just try on the item as I crochet it. It sometimes is rip out and re-do but I do get the right fit that way.

Best wishes and :welcome