Can you tell me where I have gone wrong?

NicolaJayne

I created this blog to go with my online store, after lots of my friends told me I was really good at making items and I should sell my makes!

I'm currently getting a lot of new suggestions from friends to make to add to my store!  However where I am struggling with, is the blog.

How does it look and what would you say is missing or could have some improvements on (please be honest, what with us all being Crocheters, I'd like some honest feedback), I've asked my non Crocheter friends and there like it looks nice, not really what I was after.

www.ranson.cc

• Like 1

One question you have to ask when writing a blog related to a business is what is the purpose of the blog? Having one to support your business is legitimate plenty of businesses do it to keep people engaged with their brand. Others do it as a means of connecting with people to make sure they are staying in line with the trends and interests of their clients thus again drawing business but with a more personal connection.

I don't have an outside business so I write to connect with others and explore and record my experiences with crafting. I have more freedom because I'm not trying to draw people further into my business.

Why am I giving this feedback you may ask? It's because I don't know what you are trying to communicate with your blog. It clearly isn't a train of thought blog where people share what's on their mind, a legit purpose for a blog but it has that feel to it.

When you read other bloggers what keeps you coming back to read their blogs? One thing I like is a structured timeline. Instead of featuring every possible post I like to see what's been written recently. If you want to have a sidebar with favorite posts you want people to visit that works to drive traffic there.

I like being able to search posts to find topics of interest.

Lastly there is a difference between blogging and Instagram and Twitter. You have time and space to share info in a blog post . I really liked the baby blanket post you wrote. While lots of people will post a picture from time to time to fill a post your donut post felt more like something on Instagram rather than an engaging blog post. If you were writing a personal blog like I do no big deal but this is your means of engaging clients what makes them take the time to read that and wonder more about the woman behind the business.

Crochet business related blogs I enjoy Planet June, Crochet Spot, Mary Maxim, Adoring Doll Clothes just to give you examples of people who have blogs that support their crochet/craft business.

You asked for feedback and free is all mine is worth.

Edited by Bailey4
  • Like 2

Thank you for the lovely feedback, it was exactly what I needed to read and thank you for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it! I will also check out those other crochet blogs you listed too

• Like 1